CHAPTER TWELVE - CELEBRATION IN THE CITY OF LIGHTS

Amelia Greene -

We crowded into multiple bars up and down a single street. Music was blaring from every single one, drinks were pouring, songs were being sung, and my heart was racing.

There were just so many people and so much going on I didn't know how to cope. I knew less than half of the men and women about and it both excited and strangled me.

So, I had a drink to calm my nerves, and then another, and then another, and then . . another.

I don't believe in resorting to alcohol at all, but it helped me loosen up. It was only one night, and I refused to miss out on the fun.

Pierson didn't say anything as Turner allowed us to party the night away. We had to do some things first, such as gathering bodies and whatnot, whilst the civilians set up the bars. I thought coming face to face with the bodies of my comrades would ruin my night, but as soon as the music started up, I realized it was better to celebrate their life rather than their death.

At least it wasn't one of my boys, as morbid as that sounds. I got to celebrate with them tonight instead of fight. Just laugh and joke and dance.

But even then, the alcohol couldn't cover much. I dance with Aiello first, occasionally switching partners. It's alright at first but slowly more people fill in and suddenly it's hard to walk without being pushed.

Then, after Zussman charms the tops off a few French girls, he and I dance. I'm a little less into it that time around, noticing the number of strange men in the room, eyeing me in ways I don't like. Zussman's presence helps some.

And when I try and dance with Daniels, that's when it went downhill. I move through the crowd to get through the dance floor, refusing to breathe and trying to keep as small as possible, when a sudden hand grabs my waist.

I gasp and for a moment think it's someone I know, but I look up and see an unfamiliar face and the color drains from my face.

"Twelve years old . . kidnapped . . window . . 11 p.m. ."

I rip away hard, collapsing right into someone else. I can't even get out a sorry as I desperately try and weave through the thick crowd.

My hands are shaking viscously and it feels like there's a parasite in my stomach. My knees are getting weak, too, and suddenly everything becomes a blur.

Oh, of course, this is happening. I can't enjoy anything. Of course, something had to happen to set me off.

I hadn't thought of it for so long. But that's what a predator does, sneaks up on you when you least expect it . .

I move through the crowd towards the door but it feels like it keeps getting further and further away. The wave of people moves me back so I push a little harder, feeling like I was underwater and gasping for air.

I breathe in harshly the second I make it outside, shutting the door behind me. The music is barely muffled so I walk forwards, shutting my eyes to not focus on anything else.

A few minutes pass. My breathings are now only a little off, but I mostly feel . . out of it. Disassociated. Not in touch with reality.

Fireworks explode in the air, yet my mind doesn't fully register them. I see and hear everything a minute later.

I need a distraction before anybody comes out and sees me like this. I can't ruin the mood for anyone, especially after they just liberated a whole major city.

I look around as best as I can. There has to be something. All I see is more partying and that's not what I need.

There's a tall figure outside of a restaurant. It takes me a few moments, but then I realize that it's Pierson. Alone.