CHAPTER THIRTY TWO - TOO MUCH TO HOLD ONTO

Amelia Greene -

"It's quiet," Aiello says, as he scans the tree line.

"It's been quiet for a long time," I reply, doing the same. A pit of uneasiness settles into my stomach.

"That's supposed to be a good thing."

"But you know it isn't."

We share a look. "Maybe they're holding all their men back for the Rhine."

He nods slowly, dark eyes narrowing once more as they study the area. "That sounds right. But I don't know. It's been a long time since we've seen anything of them."

Winter begins to fade into Spring, now. Snow is nothing but mush under our feet, and sleep is no longer dreaded. The weather is slowly beginning to turn back into comfortable heat, but still slightly chilly.

Whatever it may be in Fahrenheit, it'll always be better than December. It's nearly been three months since we've seen anything from the Germans; a new record. It should be a welcomed break, but all it does is elevate the tension.

"You think we're rusty?" I joke, nudging his shoulder. A smirk lines his lips and he breaks his stare ahead.

"Hell, no. We've gone longer without action. I reckon we could kick ass into our forties." He begins the walk back, and I follow, our steps almost in sync.

"Davis is no exception," I remind, thinking of the distinguished colonel, "but I'll bet you'll crash and burn the moment you get back in Queens."

He scoffs, bringing a lighter to the new cigarette between his teeth. "I run those streets, baby. So will my sons after me."

"Your daughters will take after your girl, hopefully." I chuckle at the glare he tosses me, and then watch as smoke rises from his lit tobacco.

"Speaking of children," I continue, "you think Hazels had her baby yet?"

I'd be surprised if she hadn't, by now. She was already pregnant by the time Daniels was shipped off to Britain, which was nearly nine months ago.

He shrugs. "You're asking the wrong person. All I know is that a baby comes out eventually. Oh, and, how it gets there in the first place."

I curl my lip in mild disgust and slug his arm; he laughs but holds the area, proving my strength. "I can't stand you."

Like a child, he throws his head back in laughter. I bite back a smile and stare at the muddy ground. A wave of memories of running through the mixture barefoot back home, in a forest similar to this, only greener. His laugh echoes into the innocent twinkle of a child's, maybe a neighbor or Evelyn's.

"A pregnancy is ten months. If the baby was conceived right before June, then she's almost there. Or early." I help, though I know it goes in one ear and right out the other.

"A little goodbye present for Daniels, eh?"

"You're sick," but I laugh, and take a larger step forwards to get ahead of him. His eyes land on the tube back of my head.

"What's that at the end of your plait?" I reach behind my head, pulling the braid over my shoulder, revealing the blue ribbon tied to the end.

Zussman's blue ribbon. Aiello's face falls for half a moment, and then he nods. "Oh. I forgot about that."

"So did I," I admit, "but I thought it would be a nice thing to carry around until we find him."

"The other one is still in his bag, isn't it? The one that brought out his eyes?" I smile, laughing slightly at the memory. Things here aren't the same without his charm.