CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN - INEVITABLE

Amelia Greene -

"Hey, Zuss," I say in a bright tone upon entering his room. He looks up at me, a smile lining his thin lips. It physically hurts to see him in such a weak state. But I can only be relieved that he's alive.

"Hey, Greene," he replies. Without the enthusiasm that I'm used too. Or the big hugs or cheek kisses. He doesn't have the energy nor the strength, but that's okay. "I'm glad you keep your hair down more."

He starts to cough before I can respond. He's been doing that a lot. It's like an old dogs, dry and inevitably painful. I simply wait, trying not to look to concerned, until he's done before replying. "Why? Because I look ten times finer with it?"

He smirks and his eyes glaze over with the memory. "Of course you do," his voice is a little scratchy from the coughing fit. I sit in a stool beside him, preparing myself.

"Well, I'm sorry to say, but, you can't compliment like that anymore." He raises what's left of his eyebrows and waits. "I . . kinda met someone."

His expression falls flat. "Please."

A bit offended, I turn my head to the side. "What do you mean, please? You're welcome for telling you. I'm being serious."

"Aiello wouldn't let you." I roll my eyes, shaking my head. He's the first of the four to not automatically get it.

"He gave me his blessing. Don't look at me like that. Don't you want me to tell you who it is?" He still doesn't believe me, a smirk that screams try me replacing the lack of amusement.

"Sure. I'd love to know." Oh, did he have a big storm coming. A feisty smirk of mine antagonizes him while I lean closer.

"Fine. It's Pierson."

"I'm not allowed to laugh, Greene, please, don't." My jaw drops and I pull back, hands on my knees.

"I'm not kidding! It all happened when you and Daniels were gone! Don't smirk at me like that, I -"

"She's not kidding."

I turn to the doorway, and Zussman stretches his neck to look behind me. Aiello stands there, leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed and a dark smile on his lips. "I can back her up on that."

Zussman's eyes widen to double their size. Aiello comes up besides me and we share a short handshake, signifying our teamwork. "Wait . . you're not joking?"

"No, I am not." Aiello sits down besides me as Zussman digests this new information.

"I . . I was only gone for six months."

Aiello snickers, and I squeeze his hand, wincing. "Yeah, well, I've known him for over three years now. You were still with us when it already -" his eyes widen once more, and fearing any intense emotion will send his fragile body into cardiac arrest, I pull back, "yeah, you get what I mean. Surprise!"

"Holy shit," he shakes his head, visibly attempting to process this. "Is that why he's been so different lately?"

"Somewhat," Aiello answers for me, "but Daniels knocked some sense into him, too. He sure went through it, though." I nod, remembering his horribly drunken states. Though the mystery of that day is still unknown to me.

He narrows his vision and eyes the both of us. "And . . he treats you okay?"

I chuckle, "yes, Zussman. He does."

He keeps his tapered gaze on Aiello. "You would know, right?"

"I definitely would," he says smugly, "she's not too good at hiding things."