Chapter 22: Skin Care

What greater thing there is for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life- to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of last parting?

A N N A B E T H

I was going to faint.

Full-on faint. As in Indian Serial/Soap-opera faint with the dramatic music playing in the background, with my wrist pressed against my forehead.

"Good Lord," I mutter under my breath as I stare into the room I was supposed to be staying in for the night.

It was tiny. Tinier than the dorm room I had been staying in. There was a single bed smack in the middle, that could probably just about fit both of us if we tried to sleep next to each other.

I didn't think there was a choice in that matter, considering there was hardly any room on the ground to lie down. A tiny door that probably led to a tiny bathroom and another tinier door that was for a closet.

Did she mention what size everything in the room is? I can practically hear people saying, their voices full of sarcasm, I don't think she said anything, did she?

Everything was tiny, by the way- in case you missed it.

The only cheerful one in our group was the little blonde woman who had been assigned to escort us- James, me, and Ms. Langford- to our rooms.

None of the other students had someone escorting them, but I think Ms. Langford's persistence at the front desk made this woman step out of nowhere- quite literally, and volunteer to help.

I'd almost say she looked a little familiar, but I was exhausted- and it was probably my mind playing tricks on me.

"Oh heavens," the blonde woman in question says, cheerily, "The smallest room, no? It must be written in the stars."

James glares at her a little while I close my eyes and let out a breath.

Wonderful. Fantabulous. Brilliant.

I was throwing around words like a thesaurus because I was so darn surprised. Or should I say, flabbergasted.

Ms. Langford lets out another tired sigh. Same, lady. I feel you.

"Thank you, Miss," Ms. Langford says tightly to the woman, "If you'll excuse us now, please."

The woman smiles, her bright green eyes flickering over to both James and me. Her gaze lingers for a long moment, and then she's off before I can think more of it.

"Okay, kids," Ms. Langford says, rubbing her forehead, "I'm not going to give you the talk or anything. If you're planning to do... whatever kids do these days-"