Epilogue: The Best Part

Love is a smoke made with the fumes of sighs

Annabeth and James

We'll figure it out.

It was funny how multiple things could go wrong with that single sentence. There were multiple things to figure out, learn from, and move past- and the distance between Annabeth and James made it harder than ever.

But the most important thing, that the two managed to figure out together, was that a relationship wasn't entirely based on feelings. A relationship was a choice, a commitment to another person- and it required effort from both sides. When you hit a rough patch, instead of giving up, you work past it, work for each other, and come out stronger.

The factor of love positively contributes to this. If you have a person that you're in love with, and you'd do anything for- there's a certain motivation that lies behind getting through things together. There's a deeper meaning to intimacy, that lies beyond the physical- where being intimate, transforms into allowing your vulnerability to show in front of someone, while still feeling safe and secure.

Love also alters as time passes. It no longer felt like butterflies, sunshine, and rainbows. The heart no longer sped up in each other's presence, but rather calms, and comforts the other. The kisses are seldom as intense, but more often than before, even for the simplest, littlest things- between meals, right before they went to bed, or even because you're simply thankful for them.

It took years, but James finally learned to love himself. If someone as precious as Annabeth could do it, it meant that he wasn't that big of a fuck-up, right?

It took years, but Annabeth finally learned that not all deserved kindness. Her naiveness matured into something akin to great wisdom- you give what you receive, you treat others the way they treat you, and there was no need to put in extraordinary effort into someone who only wants to take advantage of you.

What didn't take years, was for James to help Annabeth like slow dancing, despite how clumsy she was. It took a very short while, in fact- because there were simple silent times where he'd simply wrap his arms around Annabeth, and amidst talking they'd just begin to sway to a non-existent beat.

There were times he'd do it intentionally because it got her to laugh. He'd hum a horrible tune out loud while guiding her around the tiny available space, with his chin on her head and her cheek pressed against his shoulder, when they were both in their pajamas and socks- even if she was slipping every minute with loud giggles. There were times he'd try to do it when both of them were half asleep- with all the sleepy little kisses and hugs from behind while Annabeth was trying to cook breakfast- and yes, they no longer burnt meals, because that was another thing they'd manage to figure out with each other.

Somehow, all the little things managed to come together and help both of them memorize each other's movements. So even when Annabeth was in a long dress, wearing high-heeled shoes like she was today, James could help her dance without letting her step on his toes. Another thing they figured out.