Chapter 07: Preventing Homicides

The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.

 Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only

J A M E S

Aunt Janine liked my friends better than I did.

To be fair, I didn't like anyone, so that was a given.

I tolerated them because I hated them a little less than everyone else, no matter how annoying they were-and I would never admit that out loud.

They didn't need an ego boost, neither did I need to admit to putting up with them because I almost liked them.

Because my oh so lovely Aunt loved my friends so much, she made sure to invite them to dinners at least once a month when Maia went over to her friend's house for a sleepover so that we'd have a 'boys night'. Or whatever the heck that was supposed to mean.

"So," Aunt Janine said as everyone at the table continued to stuff their faces with her famous chicken lasagna, "How's the program going for you boys?"

"It's going great," Tyler said through a mouthful of food- and because of that, it sounded like "Impf's goinh great."

"Yeah?" My Aunt smiled, evidently very happy with that answer before she turned to me, "See? I told you it would be worth a shot. What's your partner like?"

On cue, three heads snapped in my direction.

I chewed slowly, as sly smiles began spreading across their faces

"She's fine," I said, avoiding their eyes.

"She?" Aunt Janine's voice sounded surprised, "I thought girls and guys didn't work together?"

"She was initially another girl's partner, wasn't she?" I stated dryly. "Luna David or something."

"Louisa Davies," Archer added helpfully.

"Her, yeah," I nodded.

"Right," my aunt said slowly, her lips pursed- before she looked at me again. "What's her name?"

"Annabeth Evans," I said, and then scrunched my face for saying her whole name like an idiot. 

"Ahh yes, Annabeth," Tyler said, wiggling his eyebrows in my direction with a smirk, to which I promptly looked away.

Only to see Archer and Ethan doing the same.

Fucking hell.

They had been doing that ever since Tyler announced something, which was completely untrue by the way, to the whole damn corridor when we were in school. 

Being cute? Fuck no. I wasn't being cute. That's positively revolting

I've had to put up with their weird faces, along with smug smiles and a whole lot of stupid, completely untrue comments since then.