Chapter 14: Learned Today

Each time you happen to me all over again.

A N N A B E T H

Buckle up, people. Get your pens and notebooks out because it's time for a what-did-I-learn-today class, featuring the one and only, Annabeth Evans (that's me!!)

Lesson number 1, the second most serious thing on today's list:

Just because you've had bad experiences with hospitals in the past, doesn't mean they can't help you now.

I had to try and let go of the bad memories that I had associated with hospitals. I also had to learn to let go of whatever fear I had of them. 

Most of that fear had been instilled in us because of lesson number 2 and the most serious thing on the list:

You cannot hide domestic abuse from doctors and nurses.

It was a pretty big realization, really, of why we used to be forbidden from asking others for help. They'd figure it out. And of course, we couldn't have anyone knowing because that would mean trouble for us.

That was why the moment I woke up, the first knee-jerk reaction was to panic. 

It took a whole two minutes of panicking before I realized that I didn't have a reason to be so worried anymore.

Even though it had been very uncomfortable and sad when Dr. Prince had asked just the questions I had anticipated, it had also been liberating. 

Because I didn't have a bad answer to any of those anymore.

Has anyone in your family been hurting you, Annabeth?

Not anymore. They put him away.

And now, onto my very eventful evening:

Lesson number 3: it was not smart to choose a diner that was nearly half an hour's walk away from the dorms. Never again.

Lesson number 3.1: it was very important to make sure you had your phone on you, especially in times like these.

Lesson number 3.2: it was definitely not smart to try and take a shortcut through a neighborhood you didn't know very well to make sure you got there in time. Especially if said neighborhood looked very shady.

Lesson number 3.3: it was also not good to wear heels when you were walking that long distance. Yes, it looked great with your outfit- but no, it wouldn't help if you were quite literally running for your life.

Lesson number 3.4: when you get hurt, your first priority should be to figure out how you can call for help and not run towards the place you were supposed to be, just because you didn't want to keep your partner waiting. Yeah, my priorities were messed up sometimes.