Pre

a/n: welcome back my lovelies! and here we... go!

*************************

"What the hell is your problem?!" I yelled, holding my hands out.

The man gave me an angry glare, looking at me like I was scum.

"Step aside, human." He said, waving his hand.

"I'm not letting you near him. You think I'm scared of you?"

"If you don't move, I'll just hit you instead." He said.

"Go ahead, I dare you. I'm not as fragile as you think I am. Hit me until I die if you have to, but I won't let you lay one finger on him."

"The prince needs to learn that he is not a human. He is an Elbaskin and not just that, but royalty as well."

"I don't care if he was the last surviving member of the race, I will not let you beat a child!"

"He is not a child. He's old enough to have learned how to turn into his true form, not that rigid form he insists on staying in."

"I don't know what you people consider grown, but on Earth he is still a child. I will not let you abuse him any longer."

The King laughed, throwing his head back and looking so sinister that I wanted to beat his face in. I knew he wouldn't stop hurting him... I had to do something...

"If you have to hit something then hit me."

"I beg your pardon?" he asked, making a face.

"After all that time dealing with Max, didn't you even realize that humans respond better to kindness than they do to pain?"

"The prince is not a human, those rules do not apply."

I looked down at my leg, where the young boy looked up at me, tears streaking his face and bruises forming where I didn't get there fast enough. His eyes were like Max's and no matter what the King (his real father) told him, I know that he preferred the man who carried him.

"Although he may not be human to you, the one who harbored him was. He is a child, you must give him time... Apparently, growth is different for you guys since you're not exactly... concrete. Beating him will solve nothing... but beating me will."

"Uncle Mars, don't!" Kasai yelled, yanking my arm.

"Shut up, Kasai." I whisper-yelled over my shoulder to him.

"I know you want to save me but-"

"Then let me save you, damn it." I growled, moving him and squatting down to look him in the eyes. "I made a vow to Max after he died to protect you, no matter what. I wasn't there for you when they stole you away and I wasn't there for you when you were suffering through this alone. Let me protect you, Kasai, please."

"You act as if your human body is more superior than ours. I hit the prince to make him tougher and stronger, absorbing the heat and giving him fuel. If I hit you, all you'll do is break."

"Fine then. Break me. I'll gladly accept: just as long as you don't hurt Kasai any longer. I think... I think it will be more fun for you to do it."

The King turned his head a little and then he realized what I was doing.

"Beating you will be an incentive... The prince seems to value you as this 'uncle'..."

"Kasai is like his father, good and kind. He doesn't want to be like you, even if he is made from your sperm. A father isn't just the one who made you, but the one who loved you. Max gave up everything for him and Max was my best friend. I fucked up once, I'm not doing it again. When you get mad, you can take it out on me, however you wish. The only thing I ask is that you not kill me. You're a smart race, I'm sure you can figure out a breaking point."

The King watched me for a moment, seeming to debate the suggestion. The Queen walked over and put her hand on her husband's arm.

"It does seem to upset him when you do this... It would be for the better, I think, for you to do as the human suggests."

The King crossed his arms. "Your request is granted. I will not touch the boy any longer."

I sighed in relief but all of a sudden, I was hit full swing in the face, flying backwards. My face was on fire and I sat up a little, looking at the King.

"I wasn't done when you interrupted."

He turned around and left. Kasai came running up to me in tears and all I could do was hold him. What the hell did I get myself into?