Tenth

After looking over Kasai's bruises and making sure everything was okay, we ended up falling asleep on his bed. I woke up in the middle of the night, hearing something in my ear, and looked over at Kasai in the crook of my arm. He was whimpering and grabbing onto my shirt.

"Daddy... I'm sorry..."

I touched his head softly and looked up at the ceiling, reflecting on what Kasai told me earlier when I was checking his wounds. He said that since he was the first successful child of the King and Queen, they were being somewhat lenient on certain things. He wasn't able to really turn into his blob form so allowed him to stay in his human form. It was also hard for him to try and turn into another form other than human. When he was an embryo, it was a natural defense to make himself look human and then change back, but after the dream incident with Max and him projecting what Kasai should look like onto him, Kasai adopted it and couldn't see anything else.

Because of that though, the King was furious. They allowed Kasai to stay human but every day he would have a session with the King to try and turn into the blob form. Every time he failed, it made the King angry with him that much more. According to Kasai, when an Elbaskin wants to toughen up a young Elbaskin, they literally hit them. The concept makes sense since when you're kneading dough, if you hit it or massage it too often, it will become too touch to mold. Young Elbaskins are still quite jelly-like and so hitting them will enable them to concentrate on something a little more shapely. But in Kasai's case, he wasn't made of Jell-O, he was practically human.

"DADDY!" he screamed, sitting up and breathing heavy, shaking like a leaf.

I touched his arm and he looked over and fell onto my chest.

"I keep having bad dreams..." he said.

"I get them too."

"You're gonna have to go back to that room before they come and get me for morning lessons. If they find you then they might hurt you."

"I don't mind."

He shook his head, sitting up. "I do though. They're doing really bad stuff to those other guys and I don't want you to get hurt."

"I think I can handle it a little better than you can."

"Even though I can't turn into jelly, I can still absorb a hit better than you. I can do some jelly stuff on the surface but not much else. I'll have the guard bring you back here later, okay?"

"You'll tell me if they hurt you again, right? No more hiding the bruises."

He nodded and grabbed my hand. "I wish you could stay here with me... I'm scared."

I sat up and touched his face. "I'll be here for you. I'm not going anywhere for now, so don't hesitate to call me when you feel scared. If it gets too much, you let me know."

"Okay... but, the King is dangerous. You can't go up against him."

"Watch me." I said, tapping him on the nose.

He made a face but crawled over me and pulled me out of bed. He then took me to the door and opened it up, where a guard was standing there. He told the guard to take me back to the room and I was shackled again. It escorted me back to the room but Dawaen and Kole were both gone. I sighed and went to the third bed at the end. I still didn't get anything to eat...

++++++++++++++++++

KASAI

I watched Uncle Mars leave with the guard and turned back around to go into my room when a golden jelly blob slithered in front of me, scaring me.