Chapter 06: Offering Comfort

Hugging, is the most beautiful form of communication. 

It's the truest form of giving and receiving, 

And it's the best way to silently tell someone beyond doubt, that they matter.

A N N A B E T H 

"Hey, Beth?" I say as we walk into Lakeview Highschool on our fourth official day here, "How are you liking the program so far?"

"It's eh," she mutters absentmindedly, "Is your partner still being an ass?"

"I don't think he knows how not to be one," I tell her with a small laugh, "It's okay, though- some people are just like that. He's also very smart, he helped me with the classwork in Physics."

"Did he?" Beth raises an eyebrow, "He looks like he'd rather eat shit than help anyone."

I laugh again. "Some people just give off the impression that they want to murder everyone they look at. I think he's one of them. His friends are the complete opposite though"

"Do not get started on his friends," she says firmly, before she gives me a little nudge, "There he is."

I spot him over all the heads in the corridor, because he was taller than the vast majority here. I don't think he'd appreciate if I called him a giant though. 

But then again, he didn't appreciate anything. Oh well.

I could only see his side profile but I didn't need to see his face to tell that he most probably had his usual, annoyed look in place. His hoodie was pulled over his head, but tufts of his dark hair were poking out of the top of it.

"Guess this is me," I tell her, as I unlink my arm from hers and step away, "See you later, alligator!"

She wiggles her fingers at me, as I spin on my heel and head towards him. The closer I get, I can hear his conversation with Tyler better.

"Physically, I could fight a bird. But emotionally? Imagine the toll."

"I hope the bird shits on you."

"That was uncalled for."

"Your face is uncalled for-"

"Annie!" Tyler cries when he notices me approaching with just the amount of dramatic air I'd expect from him, even at this time in the morning, "Tell your partner that I could totally win in a fight against a bird."

"I love birds!" I tell him brightly, "and yeah, I think you could. I'd feel bad for the bird though."

I hear a small scoff from my right, and as I turn towards him- I almost miss the subtle once-over he gives me as he leans back against his locker and crosses his arms across his chest.