12

jaemin glanced at his watch. 1:34am, the neon green numbers displayed. jaemin let out a sigh and continued walking back home in silence. the only sound that could be heard was the rustling of crisp leaves and the the muted howling of the wind.

he came to an abrupt stop when he noticed a familiar figure walking towards the park, alone. 'what was she doing out here so late?' he thought.

an idea popped into his mind and a smirk was plastered on his face. he tried his best to be as quiet as possible, tiptoeing and taking slow, small steps towards the girl.

"boo!" jaemin appeared behind the girl, scaring the life out of her.

a string of curses slipped out of her mouth as she jumped in shock. she whipped her head back and noticed jaemin behind her, smiling cheekily.

"jaemin, don't do that!" she cried out as a scowl made a way to her face. she crossed her arms and sat down on one of the benches, making some space for jaemin.

"so, why are you out so late, haeyoung?"

"i needed some fresh air. jungwoo made the paper towel catch on fire and our smoke alarm went off. i secretly left so i didn't have to help him, hehe."

"that's so mean-" jaemin gasped.

"that is not! i also gave him and his girlfriend so bonding time you know," haeyoung retorted.

"did you open the window at least?"

"of course, that was the first thing i did." haeyoung proudly smiled.

"what were you guys even doing in the kitchen at this hour?"

"jungwoo wanted to make some caramel apples so he could surprise his girlfriend in the morning. isn't that sweet?"

"that's cute. but the surprise isn't really a surprise anymore since she woke up, didn't she?" jaemin chuckled.

"well, yeah... anyway, there were so many gifts in your locker today."

"gifts? my locker?"

"yes, you. the others also received gifts but you had the most. your gifts were piled up so high, even some gifts fell out of your locker," haeyoung explained.

"what? you must be joking."

"i'm not. i even snapped a photo of it," haeyoung fished out her phone from her pocket, showing jaemin the amount of gifts he had received the day before; valentine's day. the pink and red colours were so overwhelming, it gave jaemin a slight headache. some gifts was even scattered on the floor, just like what haeyoung said. jaemin was touched. though he had received so many gifts, he was secretly hoping for a special someone to leave him something too.

"did you leave me one?" he smirked.

"pfft, you wish. you better get an extra bag ready on monday to put all your gifts,"

jaemin hummed in response and looked down at the ground, avoiding her gaze. haeyoung noticed his smile falter.

"i'm not sure if your crush left you one, but i'm sure she did," haeyoung said, trying to make jaemin feel better. she figured that he was upset because he thought that his crush did not leave him anything, but that was not the case.

"how are you so sure?" jaemin asked, looking at her. for some odd reason, haeyoung felt weird. she wasn't sure if it was the moonlight shining down on him that made him look more beautiful than he already was, or the fact that there were stars in his eyes. probably both.

"because you're a sweetheart." she uttered, staring back at him. he broke out into a bashful smile, eyes turning into crescents.

"you think so?"

"of course."

they both sat down in silence, admiring the countless stars in the night sky.

"did you just come back from busan?" haeyoung asked, breaking the tranquility.

jaemin nodded, going on about whatever happened in busan. his eyes lit up at the mention of jaehyun and his friends, and the sparkles in his eyes all seemed to become brighter. all these small little details could go unnoticed if not enough attention was given, but haeyoung noticed. she noticed how his eyes always lit up when talking about the things he loved, how a smile never seemed to leave his lips and how he spoke with so much admiration laced in his voice.

"did i annoy you? i'm sorry," jaemin paused and checked on haeyoung who was listening very attentively since the beginning.

"no, no. go on,"

so there they were, sitting beside each other under the starry sky, talking about things they admired.

"before you leave... can i say something?" jaemin held her wrist, stopping her in her tracks.

"nobody's stopping you,"

he took a deep breath. "i know it's been barely two months since we've met but, i've noticed myself falling for you more and more as time passes by. i like you, haeyoung."

she was speechless. she didn't know what to say.

"i-it's fine if you don't feel the same way," jaemin cleared his throat and let go of her wrist.

"no, i like you too."

___

A/N: thank you for 100+ reads