30

jaemin had student council duties for the whole morning and that meant that he could not join the group until the end of break. actually, he could join them during their break in the cafeteria, but he said that he had extra duties and thus, not able to join.

___

the tardy bell rang, signaling that it was now time for their break. haeyoung was making her way to the washroom to freshen up, holding the present in her hand. she was planning to surprise jaemin with her sudden appearance.

as she walked past the lockers, she heard something or someone hit against the locker, hard. curious to find out what it was, she padded her way over to the sound and she instantly regretted it.

it was na jaemin and choi hyora. jaemin was pinning her against the locker with a smirk plastered on his lips. he leaned in towards her and their lips locked. one of his hands were on her cheek while the other hand snaked around her waist. hyora smiled against the kiss as she put her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

a wave of sadness washed over haeyoung as she saw what was unfolding before her. she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her whole, never coming back to face the cruel world. jaemin initiated the kiss first. at that point, she wished that she had the courage to run up to jaemin and slap him right there and then, but before her legs could allow her to do that, she turned around and fled from the scene. her vision was blurred by her tears, causing her to bump into some students on the way to class, but that was the least of her concern right now. she had to get out of there immediately, before her heart starts to shatter more.

she grabbed her bag and ran out of the school premises, a lump forming in her throat as more tears started cascading down her cheeks. she was getting weird looks from strangers but she was too caught up with her own emotions to even bother about them.

___

MARK POV

"where's haeyoung?" i asked, scanning the area around us and not seeing a single soul that resembled haeyoung. the next lesson was starting soon and haeyoung was nowhere to be seen.

"didn't she say that she went to the bathroom?" jeno asked, perturbed.

"it's been 25 minutes and she's not back. unless she is having explosive diarrhoea- but i don't think that's the case," haechan said.

"sucks that we don't have any female friends to check up on haeyoung," renjun groaned while walking into class lazily, dragging his footwear and hunching his back.

"i'll just message haeyoung," i fished out my phone and sent her a few texts asking about her whereabouts. but even after ten minutes, i didn't receive any messages back from her. heck, she didn't even see the message. haeyoung is usually fast replying back. weird, i thought.

lessons were finally over after what seemed like years (but really it was only a few hours). there was nobody for me to disturb during lessons and for some odd reason, i felt like i could focus more when haeyoung is around, despite me constantly annoying her.

i checked my phone again and still, no new messages from her. i looked up from my phone and noticed jaemin. "jaemin! have you seen haeyoung?" i called out, catching up to him as he was speed walking out of school.

"no, why?" he asked, looking at me weirdly as if i was speaking in some sort of alien language.

"but it's- nevermind." i walked off and left him alone.

NO POV

haeyoung was broken. in fact, she was even more broken by the time she reached home because of all the nasty thoughts that ran through her mind on the way back. she ignored jungwoo's greeting and went straight into her room, locking the door and falling into her bed, sobbing uncontrollably. her face was flushed and her eyes were pooled with tears.

she noticed the incoming messages from mark through her blurred vision. she took a glance at her phone and her heart ached more. she cried harder, her shoulders moved up and down as her lungs were trying to inhale more air. an explosion of emotions rushed through her. she felt hurt, angry, confused and exhausted. she was so overwhelmed, she wasn't sure of how she was supposed to truly feel.

jungwoo found a spare key and unlocked her bedroom door, walking in and giving her a shoulder to cry on, no words exchanged.

"jungwoo, what did i do to deserve this?" haeyoung broke the silence that was filled with her soft sobs.

"shh. let's just stay like this for awhile." he tightened the hug and made her rest her head on his shoulder. he didn't mind if his shirt would be soaked after this, all he wanted was for haeyoung to have a shoulder to cry on. he may not exactly know what had happened, but he definitely knew how much she's been through.

haeyoung choked on her tears, sobs progressive getting louder. he rubbed and drew circles on her back.

"j-jungwoo," she sobbed.

"hm?"

"why did your mother take me in? my parents didn't want me anymore, so why would she?" she cried, talking about how her parents abandoned her when she was only six and jungwoo's mother agreed on taking care of her. well, that was until jungwoo moved out and took haeyoung with him.

"because she isn't the monster that created you. you're worth more than that, haeyoung."

jungwoo softly hummed while rubbing her back, lulling her to sleep.

haeyoung felt her eyelids grow heavy so she gave in and fell asleep to jungwoo's soft humming.

after jungwoo tucked haeyoung into bed, the doorbell rang. jungwoo went downstairs and he was surprised to see the person outside the door.

"mark? what are you doing here?"

"is haeyoung home? she skipped three lessons today. after she went to the bathroom, she disappeared." mark explained hastily, eyes almost popping out of his sockets.

"mark, calm down, she's at home. she's in her room sleeping right now though," jungwoo placed his hand on mark's shoulder, appreciating his care for the heartbroken female.

"oh... it's alright, i understand. i'll come back tomorrow," mark gave jungwoo and small smile and went his way.

cha haeyoung, the girl whose heart broke on the day of their anniversary.