chapter two

chapter two: a pie is not just a pie

Matilda Allens was unsure how to feel about her interaction with James Potter last night, but she woke up with a smile on her face as she stretched lying down. It was a new day. The sun beamed down on her bare legs, warming them up before she forced herself to sit up and think about getting out of bed which she eventually actually did. She pulled on her robes and was quick to brush her hair before rushing down to the common room where her two friends waited.

"Took you long enough sunshine." Evan grinned, wiping his face as if he could wash away the bags under his eyes.

Louisa shook her head and whacked Evan, before looping their arms and starting their walk to the great hall, a morning tradition. Evan Morberg was a tall lanky lad who had a mop of ginger hair atop of his head and possessed bright blue eyes that could be compared to the ocean. Matilda still remembered the day they met in the compartment when the boy, knocked on her carriage, taking a curiosity as he saw the young girl was knitting.

Louisa Franklin was a short brunette who Matilda thinks should've been placed into Gryffindor due to her badass ways and sheer nerve but if she had, the two girls would've never met when they sat down at their table after the sorting hat shouted 'Hufflepuff!' for them both. She was one of the only Americans in Hogwarts after her parents moved to Britain just before she turned eleven. The three friends were an odd bunch but they loved each other, no matter how much they screamed at each other over stupid things.

"Where'd you go last night? I woke up in the middle of the night and you were gone?" Matilda sighed slightly at Louisa's question as they sat down at the Hufflepuff table. Evan looked at Louisa with a raised eyebrow as a very slight embarrassed blush went over their friend's cheeks. She may have not been the most observant person in the world but if Louisa knew about anything, it was her best friend and when she was hiding something.

"I baked a pie." Louisa knew there was something more to it than that but she was cut short as Evan frowned and seemed to be offended by the statement.

"Oi, where's my slice?" Matilda chuckled as she ate her pancakes, holding in a moan when she bit into a particularly nice strawberry.

"I gave the pie away." Louisa rolled her eyes, moving forward slightly and looking at the girl that sat across from her.

"Alright, who'd you give the pie to? I'm sick of the suspense." Matilda putting her fork down and looking at her two best friends. She almost contemplated not telling her friends but she didn't really see why it would be such a big deal.

"I gave the pie to James Potter." As soon as the name slipped from between her lips, Louisa almost spat out her drink and Evan sat there, grimacing before patting Louisa on the back as she spluttered. They both turned back to Matilda who looked down at her pancakes as her hair created a curtain, ignoring their curious looks.