chapter thirty six

thirty six: the pie assistant

James' leg bounced up and down as he bit lightly at his nails, flinching as he accidentally bit too hard. His nerves had been out of control since their wedding night two days before. Matilda sat next to him and slipped her hand on his knee, bringing it to a soft stop. Albus Dumbledore and Alastor Moody stood in front of the two, talking to each other about what Voldemort's visit could mean for them.

"Alastor and I don't believe you have anything to worry about, your parents placed a wedding announcement in the paper. There is no reason to believe that he would know your location, this may have been a simple attempt to get you to join him." They all nodded at Dumbledore's calm words before Alastor stepped forward, shifting his jaw.

"He'll leave you to the death eaters now." James' worries only increased with every word that Dumbledore and Alastor had uttered in front of the couple. He thought his most stressful moment was winning the house cup at the end of the year but that seemed to pale in comparison to what was in front of him. He used to almost brush off Matilda's worries that she had every time he would leave to go work for the order. He knew that she worried but it had never occurred to him that he wasn't invincible and that maybe he would always come back home and Matilda would be singing to herself or sitting at her armchair.

But he wasn't invincible. He was disposable and this wasn't a silly duel within the walls of Hogwarts. He still believed in the cause he was fighting for and he would never stop fighting for a better and safer life for everyone but as Alastor and Dumbledore left, James watched Matilda stand up for her chair and ran her hands through her hair. She seemed to have a small bit of stress brewing underneath the surface but she wore a tired smile on her face, realizing what time it was.

They went to bed wordlessly, laying side by side as they continued to process what had happened these past few days. Things had been going so well for them and maybe it had been going too well but this was something that had blindsided them.

"I don't want you to go to the shop tomorrow." Matilda turned over with a sigh, noticing James bitting his lips nervously. She knew that he would say that yet she still continued with what she thought was best.

"Dumbledore and Mad-Eye said that we had nothing to worry about and I believe them. There is no reason why I should close." James knew he shouldn't get angry at her for her words but he felt himself let out a shaking breath at the notion that they had nothing to worry about. The dark lord had practically shown up on their doorstep and they had nothing to worry about?

"No reason? Love, they'll know where you work. It'd be dumb if you ignored that. You shouldn't think shit like this doesn't matter." Matilda grabbed her wand off the bedside table, muttering Lumos underneath her breath as she sat up next to him.