chapter six

chapter six: hufflepuff versus gryffindor

Matilda Allens currently sat by the black lake with James Potter and all of his friends, a scenario that Matilda was only mildly panicking about. She knew that Hufflepuff students were supposed to be all outgoing and make friends easily but she could only pretend to be all that except when she had booze in her. She could only analyze the conversation before saying something that she thought about saying for ten minutes.

"What house are you in, Pie Witch?" Sirius asked as Remus whacked him over the head. Sirius turned and glared at Remus, trying to give him a smack back as Remus fought his hands away.

"I'm sure that she doesn't appreciate you calling her pie witch, Padfoot."

Matilda put her hand up to conceal the giggle that just came from her lips, a noise that attracted all of their attention. She had a beautiful laugh, one that would be sung about and one that could have art constructed around it.

"It's fine. I'm honestly glad that you lot are eating the food that I make and enjoying it." Matilda's blue eyes met James' equally as blue eyes, the former sending the latter a small soft smile.

"What house are you in? I don't want to assume." Peter asked in a small voice as Matilda's soft smile was now directed at him.

"Hufflepuff. It's alright to assume, it is quite evident." The boys nodded before they all turned back toward the lake, watching the giant squids' tentacles come up for a moment before going back down to the depths. Matilda looked up at the sky, seeing the sun begin to set before she quickly checked the watch that rested on her wrist.

"I better head back up to the castle. Can't miss dinner." Matilda stood, expecting the boys to just stay where they were and enjoy their night. The four boys sprung up with James going next to her and glaring at the boys behind them who made kissing faces. They were such wankers.

"Are you coming to the quidditch match tomorrow?" Matilda nodded, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear and turning to see the nervous face of James Potter.

"Yeah, of course. Evan is playing tomorrow and I've got to show my school spirit at least once even if I don't like it." James felt the question rolling off his tongue before he had the chance to stop it.

"Is Evan your boyfriend?" This also got the interest of his friends who stayed silent as she let out a loud laugh. He had to be sure.

"Oh gosh no, he's essentially my brother." James took a look back at his friends, Sirius giving him an enthusiastic thumbs up whilst Remus and Peter gave him a wide smile. He flapped his hand at them, shooing them away. Matilda wanted to ask why he would ask such a question but as they arrived at the Great Hall with dinner in full swing, the words died on her lips.