chapter twenty three

chapter twenty three: a pity party in a train carriage

Although the Christmas break had been an absolute dream, Matilda Allens had to admit that she was excited to see her friends. She would be the first to say that James and his friends had been good to her but they were such boys and she needed the girls. She needed Louisa in all her American glory and Evan who although he was a man, was just one of the girls. Matilda was also absolutely thrilled to see her dog again, having left Ozmo back at Hogwarts due to Euphemia's dog allergy. She wondered how Professor McGonagall had liked the pup, being the only professor that actually said they would look after him.

Matilda was squished between James and Sirius in the backseat of the car, Fleamont and Euphemia chatting in the front seat about how excited they were that their boys were graduating from Hogwarts soon. James and Sirius were only filled with joy at the idea of getting out and working in the wizarding world. Matilda, on the other hand, was realizing that she had absolutely no idea what she was doing with her life. Her grandmother always said that she shouldn't feel pressure to decide and that she should take her time but now she was feeling the weight of choosing who she wanted to be for the rest of her life.

They hopped out of the car and said their goodbyes before the three teens headed to platform 9 3/4. Matilda's eyes darted furiously around the platform, her grip adjusting on both of the suitcases she hauled.

"Alright, alright, slow down." James laughed as Matilda sped up causing her to pout and move back next to him and Sirius. But before anyone could say anything, Matilda spotted her friends up ahead, the two turning at the right moment and seeing her.

"Allens!" Evan yelled and rushed toward her, sweeping her up in his arms and Louisa joining by hugging them both, the three laughing as Sirius and James just watched.

"You never greet me like that." Sirius elbowed James causing the boy to shake his head as the friends began to talk frantically.

"What? You want me to sweep you off your feet?" James asked causing Sirius to shrug and nod.

"Would be nice, Prongs. Would be nice." Matilda turned back to the face Sirius and James, the two turning back toward the other three before Evan tapped her shoulder.

"I see Gabi over there. I'll see you on the train, yeah?" Matilda grinned widely and nodded, Evan rushing off.

"Oh to have a partner. Thank god we're single." Louisa laughed, watching Evan pick Gabrielle up and spin her around before kissing her. She turned just in time to notice James and Matilda share a look.

"What?" Sirius covered his mouth as he began to laugh, shaking his head and moving next to Louisa. It took her a second as no one spoke before she gasped and hit Matilda and then James on their arms.