chapter twenty four

chapter twenty four: being james potters girl gets you attention

"Ozmo!" The dog jumped up and tried to lick Matilda's face as she giggled, her friends standing behind her. Sirius patted James' shoulder before whispering into his ear, a cocky smile on his face as he did so.

"You think if I told her I was an animagus dog, she'd dump you and date me instead." James shrugged his friend off and sent him a playful glare as Sirius winked at him before whispering the same joke to Remus and Peter causing the two boys to cackle and nod.

 "What's funny?" Louisa asked causing Sirius to shake his head and tell her it's a secret. 

"Thank you so much for taking care of him, professor. I really don't know what else I would've done." McGonagall smiled down at the girl and the dog, nodding and looking at the group of teens. McGonagall had actually loved having the pup with her through the holidays as did the other children that had no where to go on Christmas day and could take comfort in the dogs excitement and need to be cuddled and pet.

"It was no trouble. He's very well behaved." Matilda grinned and scratched the dog behind his hair causing the pup to tilt it and stick his tongue out.

"Off you go, now." The teenagers all thanked McGonagall and went on their way around the castle, no destination in mind.

"How was your Christmas, Gabi?" The girl shrugged and nodded slightly as she held on to Evan's hand, giving it a tight squeeze every few steps as a constant reminder of how she felt about him. He would squeeze it back, supressing the grin that was no doubt going to show eventually.

"My parents don't celebrate Christmas but it was nice to see my family and I sent letters to Evan the whole time so it was lovely." Matilda didn't know why but everything was finally okay. She had had a pretty shit year last year but things seemed to be looking up for her and her friends. The friends joked about and it felt slightly odd to have such a group with people from all different houses. 

"We'll see you guys at dinner, yeah?" As much as James loved hanging out with his friends, he knew that this was the last day that they were going to be together without the pressure of the N.E.W.T's and the other students staring at them with odd expressions. It had already begun and James knew he was a bit of a sorry sap but he wanted to preserve his bubble of adoration that he had with Matilda. 

Never did Matilda believe she would be dating a Gryffindor. It's not like she personally had anything against them but the Hufflepuffs did like joking about how they acted so proud and were so hot-tempered over every little thing. It was only until their last year that really people considered dating outside of their house. The younger years, especially some of the younger Slytherin turned their nose up at dating people in other houses considering their own house, the superior house.