chapter twenty seven

chapter twenty seven: love makes you dumb, an essay by matilda allens

Matilda had found a strategy for her studying as the N.E.W.Ts were fast approaching at this stage. Every time she found herself nailing a practice exam or she had been studying for a ridiculous amount of time, she would go annoy someone. Whether she would annoy James, Evan, Louisa, Gabi, or even Sirius, she considered herself an annoyance or at the very least, a distraction and it had helped her studies in a strange way.

Evan and Gabi had essentially banished her from doing anything of the sorts during this period of time as they found it hard to focus when every two hours, she would pop up and talk about recipes or their first six years at Hogwarts together. She pouted as she finished her practice exam and looked up at the ceiling before deciding that today, James would be her victim. Although James was pretty secure in what he knew and he didn't believe his N.E.W.Ts would go absolutely horrible, he still needed to study for the things he was unsure about.

He had his first exam in a couple of days and James began finding it harder and harder to not find a distraction in everything especially when Matilda would waltz past him as he sat on a bench outside, spring finally in full swing on the Hogwarts grounds. His eyes that were once fully focused on the book were now split between it and Matilda who seemed to attempt to be creeping up like a cat. Between her and Sirius, James Potter could not get a break.

"Love!" James groaned as Matilda almost skipped toward him, a pout already on her face as she came closer. 

"I've got to study." Matilda frowned as she walked up, nodding sadly and kissing him quickly and turning around. A smile spread onto her face as she heard a huff and the sound of a book closing causing her to turn back to James. His hair was perfectly disheveled and he was wearing his red sweater and he had his legs out in front of him.

"Come on then, don't be a tease," James smirked, opening his arms causing a small squeak to escape past her lips as she rushed toward him and climb into his arms. 

"You're a bit of a minx, aren't you?" Matilda giggled as she shoved her head into his chest before looking up at him, her hair just as wild as his. They both were not looking their best but they loved just being comfortable with the other.

"Do you want me to go then?" James shook his head as he tightened his arms that were wrapped around her.

"Don't you dare move." Matilda smiled and sighed in content, shifting herself so her back was against his chest and their hands laced together in front of her. 

"So where are you going to go after Hogwarts? I assumed that you would go back to your parent's place-" James shook his head and a chuckle rumbled through his chest.