chapter thirty five

chapter thirty five: mr & mrs potter

Although the air was cold, nipping viciously at everyone's skin, there was not a single complaint from anyone. It was December 28th, a day that would be known as the day that Matilda Allens and James Potter got married. The guests chatted excitedly as they had begun to take the seats that have been laid out for all of them. Alice and Frank were holding hands tightly as they reminisced about their own wedding that had happened a few years prior.

The Prewett twins were snickering in their seats as they noticed James standing at the front with his best men beside him, all nervous. He distracted himself as he looked at all of the guests, recognizing every single person in attendance. Lily Evans sat with her husband in the third row, grinning from ear to ear as the ring on her finger gleamed in the sun. James wasn't planning on inviting her, not wanting to make Matilda uncomfortable but she had simply shaken her head, pointing out that even though he and Lily had dated, they had still been friendly for five years prior.

Various members of the order were in attendance with Marlene Mckinnon, joking with Lily and trying to involve Benjy Fenwick into her antics who simply shook his head. The gathering was small, taking place at a small cottage that James' parents owned for when the summer came. James' heart still ached that his parents would not be there to see possibly the biggest day of his entire life.

"Are you ready?" James turned to see Sirius, his hair slightly slicked back and his facial hair all groomed nicely. James sighed and nodded, his eyes darting to where Matilda would emerge any minute now. 

"I've never been ready for anything more in my life." Whilst Sirius was beaming at James, his counterpart was doing the same with Matilda although Louisa had significantly more tears involved. 

"Bloody hell, I didn't think I was going to cry at this thing." Louisa fanned her face with her hands, trying not to make her makeup run down her face.

"You really do look beautiful." Gabi joined in, opting to dab the small tears that did form in the corners of her eyes. The two girls wore light green silk dresses that flowed to the floor, neither of them wearing shoes. Matilda hadn't really been fussed with bridesmaids dresses but they all agreed that green looked good on everyone. 

"Are you girls ready yet?" Evan strolled into the room, smiling as soon as he spotted Matilda who stood, letting them all see her. Her dress consisted of a white bodice with a white pleated skirt bottom that ended just at her ankles, something that wasn't fussy in the slightest. 

"You look amazing." Evan began to tear up causing all the women to laugh as they began to hug each other, none of them thinking this is where they would be a year ago. Almost a year ago to the day, Louisa was off in America, Evan in Sweden, and Gabrielle was suffocating in the presence of her parents. But it was Matilda that had the most to reflect on. A year ago, she sat outside of Euphemia and Fleamont's home on the steps as snow floated down and she kissed James. She took a step that was so nerve-wracking yet now that she knew the outcome, it was her most treasured decision.