Chapter 2: A Painful Wedding

The minute we got to Beckett's house; he pushes me into a room that has two maids in it.

"I'll see you at the altar," Beckett says with a wink.

"Let's get you into a bath, Miss," one of the maids says.

I follow the maids into the bath and start stripping.

"Don't be alarmed when you see this," I say. They both raise their eyebrows in confusion. They both help me into a bathtub. I then feel the familiar tingles up my legs. They both gasp in alarm at the sight of my tail. "I told you not to be alarmed, and please don't tell Beckett," I say giving them a pleading look hoping they don't tell Beckett. They both look at me in surprise.

"I'm guessing you're not really the Governor's daughter," one of the maids says while the other one just gets the washing products.

"That would be correct. I was left on the doorstep of the Governor's household when I was a baby," I explain. They both nod in understanding.

"We promise we won't tell," the other maid says.

"Thank you, I appreciate that," I say and they both nod in return.

They then told me their names were Gail and Victoria.

Once I was all washed and dried and my legs have returned, they dressed me into an underdress and underskirt. They then guide me into the room and put a corset on me. 'I hate these so much.' I then see a box on the bed.

"Is that the wedding dress?" I ask while holding my stomach.

"Oh yes. Beckett picked it out for you. He thought it would be perfect for you," Gail says as Victoria hands me some stockings.

I put on the stockings then Gail hands me some shoes as Victoria takes the wedding dress out of the box. I look at the dress. I got to say Beckett has good taste, but if it were my choice, I'd choose something different. I put the shoes on then Gail and Victoria help me put the dress on. They then help me with my hair and makeup. Gail then puts a veil on top of my head. They then guide me to a full-length mirror. I look at myself up and down. I got to say I look beautiful, but I wish to not be married to such an evil man.

"Looks like you're ready to be married," Victoria says in awe. I look at her and then sigh.

"I wish to be married to someone else instead of him," I say with a scoff. Victoria's face falls.

"You don't love him?" She asks.

"Nope," I say in disgust.

"You love someone else?" Gail asks.

"Yes, and Beckett knows, and he doesn't care," I say sadly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Gail says. I look at her and give her a sad smile.

They guide me out of the room and down the stairs where I see my father by the front door. I burst into tears and throw my arms around him. I feel his arms wrap around me.

"I'm so sorry, Maria," he says sadly.

"I don't want to be here. I want to go home," I cry out.

"I know, but we don't have a choice and I don't want to see you hang," he says as we pull apart and he wipes away my tears with his thumbs.

"Where's Elizabeth?" I ask with a sniffle.

"Her and Will went somewhere, but I'm not sure where," Father says.

"Oh, did you tell her?" I ask.

"I didn't because I know she would try to stop the wedding," he says. I look down and start crying again. "Hey now, we don't want you ruining your makeup," he says trying to lighten the mood. I give a soft chuckle at that.