Chapter 12: Heartbreaking News

The next morning, I woke up to Gail and Victoria shaking me.

"Wake up, Maria. We can't have you sleeping all day," Gail says as Victoria opens the curtains. I groan and pull the covers over my head. "Oh no you don't. You have to get up," she says pulling the covers off of me.

"Why?" I ask groggily stretching out.

"Lord Beckett told us to wake you up and he wants to speak to you," Gail explains.

"Fine, I'll get up," I say getting up, but sat back down when I felt dizzy.

"Maria, are you alright?" Gail asks looking worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just got up too fast," I say once the dizziness went away. She didn't look convinced but decided to drop it.

"Let's get you washed up," Victoria says making me jump. I forgot that she was even in the room.

Once I got into the bath and I felt the familiar tingles up my legs, I saw Victoria eying my tail in envy.

"Is there anything the matter, Victoria?" I ask. She looks at me for a moment before replying.

"I'm sorry that I've been treating you the way I have. I was just jealous of you," she says.

"Jealous? Why?" I ask in disbelief.

"When I was a child, I was obsessed with mermaids and was always fascinated by them. It's kind of stupid now to be jealous of you over a childhood obsession I once had," she explains.

"Okay, well. I accept your apology," I say.

"Thank you," she says. I nod to her in return.

Once I was all washed up and dried and my legs have returned and got an underdress on, Gail and Victoria led me back into the bedroom and got everything out for me. When I saw the corset, I stopped in my tracks.

"Oh, I can't wear corsets anymore," I say.

"What do you mean?" Gail asks confused.

"I can't wear them because I'm pregnant and the doctor told me I shouldn't wear them," I say.

"Oh. Well. Congratulations," Victoria says looking worried with Gail also looking worried. I look at them confused.

"Why are you both looking so worried?" I ask.

"We're worried because we know what Beckett does to you and we don't want you to lose your baby," Gail says.

"And I can see the bruise he gave you on your cheek," Victoria adds. I smile and feel a great rush of affection towards them.

"I know you both care, but there's nothing I can do about it. But if I'm in a stressful situation, I promise to get out of it if I can," I say.

"Okay. Just try not to get hurt," Victoria says and then does something that surprises me. She hugs me with Gail also coming over and hugs me as well.

Once I was all dressed and my hair and makeup was done, Gail and Victoria led me downstairs and into the dining room where there was a tray of food waiting for me.

"When you're done, Beckett would like to see you in his study," Victoria says then leaves the room with Gail.

Once I was done eating, I went upstairs to Beckett's study and knocked and waited for the 'come in' before entering. Beckett looked up from his desk.

"Come sit," Beckett demands gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. I do as he says.

"What do you need me for?" I ask.