Chapter 7: Dresses and Letters

The next day I woke up to Gail shaking me.

"Maria, wake up. We can't have you sleeping all day," Gail says.

"Mmm. What time is it?" I ask sleepily stretching my arms.

"It's almost 11:30," she says. My eyes widen.

"Oh god! I got to get to Elizabeth's!" I say frantically and jump from the bed and run into the washroom.

Gail follows me and prepares a bath for me. Once I got into the bath, I of course feel the familiar tingles up my legs. Once I was finished with my bath and my legs have returned, Gail helped me into an underdress and corset, which I hate. She then led me into the bedroom where I saw Victoria making the bed.

"Hey Victoria," I say.

"Hello," she says in a not very nice tone. I raise my eyebrows at her, but she just rolls her eyes at me, so I decided not to question it.

Gail dressed me in a blue and gray dress which complimented my tan skin perfectly.

I made my way downstairs and ate my brunch. Once I was finished, I made my way to the front door when someone cleared their throat stopping me in my tracks.

"And where do you think you're going without me?" I hear Groves behind me. I turn around and look at him.

"Is this really necessary for you to come with me every time?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"You know I have to. You don't have much of a choice," he says.

"Ugh. Fine," I say in annoyance making my way towards the front door with him following me.

------------------------------------------------------------

Groves and I were in a carriage on our way to my former home. I knock on the front door and Thomas answers.

"Come on in, Maria," he says letting Groves and I in.

"Thank you, Thomas," I say.

I make my way up the stairs with Groves following. I stop outside Elizabeth's door and turn to Groves.

"You can wait out here," I say. He nods in return.

I knock on the door and wait for the 'come in' before entering. I open the door and see Elizabeth reading a book. She puts the book down when she sees that it's me.

"Hey Maria," she says and comes up to me and gives me a hug. "So, what are you up to?"

"Oh nothing. Just wanted to come over since Beckett's away on business again," I say.

"Oh, so he's not going to be coming to the wedding?" Elizabeth asks.

"No, but I am kind of suspicious of him," I say.

"Why are you suspicious of him?" She asks.

"Because ever since I told him you and Will are getting married, he's been smirking more than usual like he's done something he's proud of and every time I ask why he's smirking he just tells me it's nothing I should worry about," I explain.

"He must be up to something," she says.

"I know. I just hope it's not anything to do with the wedding," I say.

"Oh, let's hope not," she says.

Someone knocks on Elizabeth's door. We look to the door and see Father.

"Oh, good, Maria. You're here," he says and comes into the room followed by Thomas carrying two boxes and puts them on the bed. Elizabeth and I both gasp in unison.