Chapter 8: Not So Good Wedding

Last night I told Gail to wake me up early like at 6:00 since the ceremony starts at 8:00.

I woke up to Gail shaking me.

"Come on, Maria. You need to get ready for Elizabeth's wedding," she says.

I sit up and stretch my limbs and then get up from the bed and walk into the washroom with Gail following. I strip my clothing and wait for Gail to fill up the bathtub. I get into the bathtub and feel the familiar tingles up my legs. I let Gail help me wash up. Once I'm all done, Gail helps me out and sets me on a bench and waits for my legs to dry. Once I'm all dried and my legs have returned, Gail dresses me in a underdress, corset, and many underskirts. She then led me into the bedroom and hands me some shoes and stockings. I put them on and then she helps me into my bridesmaid dress. She then helps me with my hair and makeup. She also helps me put on the necklace that Beckett gave me for my birthday. Once I'm all done, I walk to the full-length mirror.

"You look beautiful, Maria," Gail says.

I look myself up and down and I agree. I do look beautiful. Especially with how dominate my mermaid features look.

"I agree. I do look beautiful," I say. She chuckles.

"Come on. Let's get some breakfast in your belly," she says. I chuckle.

I follow Gail into the dining room, and she tells me to sit down. I do as I'm told which is kind of hard with the many underskirts. She walks into the kitchen then comes back moments later with a tray of food and sets it down in front of me.

Once I've finished eating, Gail takes the tray. Then all of the sudden Groves walks into the room.

"It's time to go," he says. I get up and follow him out.

The second I stepped out of the house; I noticed it was raining. Oh great! Just when I thought the day was going to be perfect. I just hope it will stop before the ceremony.

Groves and I were in a carriage on our way to a church about a block away from the battlefront where Elizabeth will be getting ready.

We were now arriving in front of the church. Before I got out, Groves stops me.

"What do you want?" I ask in annoyance.

"I have some business to attend to, so I won't be with you," he says. I nod in reply.

I get out of the carriage and run to the entrance of the church because it was still raining. Once I got into the church, Father came running up to me.

"Maria! Elizabeth is missing!" He says panicking.

"What?! How!?" I ask panicking.

"About five minutes ago she ran out upset," he says.

"Don't worry. I'll go look for her," I say.

Before he could protest, I run out the church doors. I run all the way to the battlefront.

I walk up the aisle to see the area deserted, apart from Elizabeth, who's kneeling at the alter facing the ocean with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. It's raining heavily and Elizabeth is soaked to the bone. Her wedding dress is ruined and so is my bridesmaid dress.

"Elizabeth, we must go. They're coming for us," I say trying to pull her to her feet.

Elizabeth drops the bouquet of flowers, and we rush off just in time. Soon after I can hear the pounding of soldier's feet against the once beautifully decorated aisle. We keep running until we meet Will. I stand back and keep an eye on the guards. I look up and see that Will is dressed in his wedding suit but is surrounded by East India Trading Company soldiers and has his hands clasped in irons.