1 Motherly Choices

Chrysalis entered her chamber after cautiously ensuring that her temporary allies did not follow her. She excused herself from the discussion of their plans to usurp the lands of Equestria without addressing a reason. As if they have the right to know the constant whereabouts of a queen. Besides, Grogar's bell was left with them; she saw no reason for them to be concerned for deceit. For now, at least.

Chrysalis's chamber was hollow of decorations and belongings. It felt somewhat nostalgic for her old bedroom when she was young. All they stood before her was a small purple log that laid atop a large slanted rock that she has been using as a desk. Chrysalis furrowed at the ignorant log and flicked it across the room as she said, "I'm not here for you fool."

Behind the slanted rock, there was a small hole that widened when she pulled the rock aside. Beneath where the rock once stood lied a deep hole that minimized further inside; a precaution that Chrysalis to prevent the slanted rock from falling in far enough to harm what she hid inside.

A green glow emitted from the hole. Chrysalis grinned and used her magic to lift out an egg from out the hole. A common changeling egg would have olive pigments with stripes of darker tones of green; however, this particular one that Chrysalis caressed in her hooves was pitch-black with green stripes that radiated. Through those stripes, Chrysalis can grasp a glimpse of the larva that made subtle shuffles.

"How is my princess," Chrysalis cooed as the green lines of the egg shone brighter. Chrysalis could feel her body getting heavy a slight as the egg hungrily sapped her of the accumulated love she collected. "You starved again, haven't you?"

Seeing her precious youngling so desperate for nutrients made her feel bitter about the predicament she has placed her child in. There was a moment where she had liberated all of her obstacles in conquering Equestria and it seemed that the changeling race was guaranteed to thrive for centuries to come.

The moment was perfect for Chrysalis to lay a special egg that she held for years and finally welcome it to the world where it would live a life of luxury.

But reality played a cruel trick on its mother and stripped her of everything she had earned, leaving only the two to fend for themselves. Chrysalis's egg was welcomed to a harsh environment where Chrysalis had to be anxious about everything to ensure its safety.

The countless months of relocating home due to nearing predators and fending them off have taxed the former queen's mind and have festered her hatred of the ponies that have humiliated her to this state. Particularly of a mare that deprived her of her entire Hive. Burdened by her anxieties and paranoia, her troubled state of mind swayed her to seek companionship from a purple log that made snide comments of her quite some months ago. But no more.

"It won't be long now my youngling," Chrysalis whispered to the egg. "In the coming moments, I shall regain my rightful place as queen of not only the Hive but of the entire lands of Equestria. When you finally emerge from your egg, you will be welcomed to a home befitting of a princess. However, there are other steps that need to be taken."

Chrysalis's horn illuminated and released a black light that streamed into the egg. Chrysalis could feel the egg rumble, but she persisted, confident that her youngling could handle the power given to it. After half a minute, she finally stopped as the green lines of the egg flickered wildly and then remained lit brighter than before.

"I knew you could handle it," Chrysalis breathed raggedly. "With Grogar's magic as sustenance to your growth, I'm certain that you will surpass the power of all who stands in our way. Including our two aides."

"Chrysalis!" Chrysalis's ears perked at Cozy's voice. She tried to put her daughter back in its hiding place, but she lacked enough time when Cozy Glow entered her room merely seconds later. "How long are you going to keep us waiting!? We have the conquering of Equestria to do, remember!?"