Chapter 0.8

|| Madison ||

The sound of Charlotte Lawrence filled my room as I stood in my small closet trying to decide on a bathing costume because early this morning Kayli had messaged and asked me if I wanted to join her, Kane and Calum at the beach this afternoon. Naturally, I accepted. But when I got home from work nearly thirty minutes ago, I didn't think I'd be having such a hard time picking out a swimsuit. I only had about five, to be honest. Three monokini's and two bikini's that I'd hardly worn since I bought them.

Three years ago I would have died at the thought of having to wear any swimming costume, let alone a bikini, but now I'm kind of okay with it. I mean, it took mad confidence for me to wear a bikini the first time I did which was like, last year, and I've never really worn one again save for like, a few times when one of my good friends and I would sunbathe in her backyard during the scorching summers that Cape Town had to offer.

After deliberating with myself for a while, I decided on wearing a coral blue monokini that made my skin look delectably bronzy and golden. Over it, I wore a white t-shirt and a pair of black cotton shorts, another clothing item I had only recently allowed myself to start wearing.

Needless to say, I've only recently started to allow myself the privilege of wearing clothes that showed more than my wrists and ankles.

For most of my life, I was definitely bigger than most kids my age. I mean, not obscenely obese or anything but yeah, big. Once I hit my teenage years and I was made painfully aware of the fact that personality does not in fact triumph looks and that people got kicks out of making snide remarks if your appearance wasn't the standard "normal". Yeah, that fucking sucked.

My insecurities about my physical appearance plagued me for most of my teenage years until the middle of my grade eleven year when I finally got a job and was making an amount steady enough for me to be able to afford a gym membership (Hillary would have never paid for that). After a couple of months of regular exercising and a healthy eating plan, the results started showing and my body confidence rose significantly.

After packing in two towels, an extra set of warm clothes and other essentials into my beach bag, I slipped my feet into a pair of flip flops and awaited Kayli's message of arrival. She had mentioned earlier that the four of us would be riding together.

Just after two, my phone pinged with Kayli's message. I grabbed my bag and house keys before leaving my apartment. Outside the building, my three friends were waiting for me in Kane's truck. Well, my head automatically called it a bakkie at first but then I remembered that in America they're called pick up trucks.

"Hey," I greeted them as I slid into the backseat next to Calum.

"Hey, Mads," Kayli chimed with a smile. "You ready for a whole day of some fun in the sun?!" She asked enthusiastically, earning a laugh from everyone.

"If I don't burn the moment the sun touches my skin then ya, besluis," I giggled.

"Ugh, girl preach!" She agreed. "Even factor fifty doesn't cut it anymore."

"You're telling me," I sighed with a laugh.

The ride to the beach was spent chatting and listening to one of Kayli's Spotify playlists.
Feeling my phone vibrate in my hand, I unlocked the device and saw that I had a message from Calum.

You look very pretty today, mads.
14:14

I had to suppress my smile as I read the message. Great, this is Tuesday morning all over again.

Thanks :) you too :)
14:15

So I look pretty today?
14:15

Well like, ya
14:15