Unexpected Love - Chapter 4 (JenLisa FF Story)

***JENNIE***

I can see how flustered she is with my question.

Did I overdo it?

"Are you two not done with the plates yet?"

Mom's leaning in the door frame when I shifted my eyes on her.

"We're finished, mom. Are you going somewhere?"

She's no longer in her Pajamas, that's why I asked.

"Yeah. I'll bring mom to her doctor for a regular check-up."

She straightened up before she spoke again.

"Do you have a car, Lisa?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She answered.

"Great! 'Cause we'll bring my car with me. You two enjoy your day, okay?"

I nodded.

"Okay, mom. Take care."

She waved before she exited the kitchen.

I gazed back at her. She hasn't answered my question yet. I guess I have to let it go since it's just a simple note, right?

I let out a sigh, almost audible, and I think it worries her even more.

I tried to relax my shoulders and lower my tone.

"I'm sorry. Am I overreacting to that?"

She stared at me, and the way she stares made my heart beats fast.

I'm not sure what's happening though. Is it because no one has ever stared at me like that before? Shit! My cheeks are feeling warm. Am I blushing?

I dropped the towel in my hand in purpose. I need to release myself from this eye contact before she'll notice that my cheeks are turning red.

I bent down to pick up the towel on the floor.

She stepped backward before she answered me.

"I should be the one saying sorry. You know."

She paused.

Is she waiting for me to stand up? Because as soon as I gain back my composure, she spoke again.

"Well... I've been working in that café for 2 years. I almost know every single person who enters the shop. So... when I see you. I know that you're new. I just thought maybe it's better to leave a note, so you'll feel how welcome you are in our café."

Oh... so I just overreacted on that.

I thought... she's flirting on me or something. Well, maybe it's time for me to let that go.

I smiled. I don't know if I smiled because I feel dumb or because I just want to smile at her. I'm not really sure about the answer to that.

---

***LISA***

Shit! I lied! I lied! I lied.

I crossed the road towards my house absent-mindedly, and a car almost hit me.

A familiar voice came out of the driver's seat.

"What the hell?"

My body's shaking with what just happened.

It was Tom behind the wheel, and he stepped out of his car as soon as he kicked the brake.

I slapped his arm.

"Should I be the one cursing you?"

I shouted.

"I'm sorry."

He lowered his voice.

"You almost killed me, and you're just saying sorry?"

I gave him another slap on his left arm. He didn't say anything, but endure the force of every hit.

"I'm sorry... okay?"

I paused. I just realized there's no point in hurting this stupid guy.

"Fine!"

I inhaled and exhaled to cool myself down.

"Why are you in my neighborhood?"

"I'm just checking if you're awake already, and maybe you want to grab something to eat since I know you have nothing in your fridge right now."

"Did you sneak into my kitchen to check if my fridge is empty or not?"

I eyed him with my creased forehead.

He chuckled.

"I don't need to look at it, you know. I know you. You're not good at taking care of yourself."

I hit him in his arm again. This time... harder.

"Ouch! Sometimes I think you're one of the guys. You could knock me down with those fists."

"You know I'm one of the guys. Stop pretending you don't know."

I rolled my eyes and head back to the house.

"Well, how am I supposed to believe that? You never had a girlfriend."

He said as he follows me on my way to my porch.

I stopped and stared at him. Annoyed at every word he said.

"When will you stop pretending you don't know Tom? And when will you stop hoping that it could happen?"

He sighed.

I could feel that he doesn't want this kind of conversation. He's the nicest guy I've ever known, and even though he always teases me whenever we're with our friends, I know deep down his heart he still has that thing on me.

"I know."

He let out a short smile.

"I'm sorry."

He mumbled.

That melted me. It kind of made me feel guilty for telling him that nothing will happen. But what choice do I have? He pushed me to say those words to him. All I want is to remind him about everything because he might have forgotten those things.

I looked down and kicked a small rock on the pavement.

"I'm sorry, too."

I whispered.

"I just hope we won't talk about this again."

I looked up again to meet his eyes.

He said nothing, but instead, he assured me with a nod.

"So... I guess I have to go?"

"Yeah... I have something to do today."

"Okay."

He let out another smile, and walk back to his car.