Unexpected Love - Chapter 14 (JenLisa FF Story)

***JENNIE***

It's only five in the morning, and the probability of her being awake at this hour is close to zero percent. But here I am dialing her number. Not because I want to disturb her from snoring, but because I want to hear her voice before I go back to sleep.

She clicked the answer button, but instead of hearing her voice, I heard a thud on the other line. She might have dropped her phone on the floor.

"Shit!"

I heard her muttered. Then a long pause followed it.

"Hello?"

That crack in her voice suddenly made me feel guilty. I'm too mean to wake her up.

"Sorry."

"Hmm... It's okay. What time is it?"

"It's only five. Sorry for always waking you up! I just..."

I paused because I realized how selfish I am for dialing her number.

"You just?"

"I just want to hear your voice before I close my eyes."

She giggled, together with the sound of sheets rubbing each other.

"Tell me I'm not dreaming."

Her voice sounds weak, and I'm guessing her eyes are still close while talking under her sheet.

"This is better than dreaming."

I smiled with the words I've said.

"I know because you're no longer a dream. You're a reality. You're my reality."

Why is she becoming cheesier these days? But even though my brains tell me how cheesy and corny her words are, I still couldn't help myself but smile with it.

"Arg! I'm unimpressed."

I said, still smiling at this silly conversation at five in the morning, and I'm sure she's enjoying this more than I do.

"I'm hanging up now. You better go back to sleep."

"Okay... See you later, then."

---

***LISA***

"Hey! Still have plans of going back?"

Tom said acidly when I answered his call.

And every time I hear him speak like this, he's already at the edge of kicking someone's ass.

I'm sitting in the kitchen with only two lights open. I like it dim whenever I eat my breakfast. It gives more drama to this lonesomeness.

I rested my spoon in my bowl of cereal. Trying to buy some time to calm him down before giving him my answer. But when I'm about to say something, he blurted out another one. Surprisingly, his tone is softer this time.

"Sorry... hibernating again?"

"No... No... I'm not hibernating. Is Rosie still there?"

I'm no longer mad at her since Jennie and I are better than okay now. But I'm still in that phase where I don't want to see her. Not comfortable yet to stand next to her.

"She wasn't here yesterday, but she's coming today. As far as I know. So... she's the reason you're not coming?"

"Hmm... most likely. But I might be there tomorrow."

"Hey! Not because you're the daughter of the boss doesn't mean you'll neglect work! Work is work, you know."

The way he said it tells me he's smiling on the other line, which causes me to smile back at him. Yet I still feel sorry for not answering all his messages, and for all the times I did this to him.