Chapter 2 - Not so Great

Chapter Two

Not so Great

Today his master took the form of a beautiful woman with long white-blonde wavy hair, pale skin that was perfect like porcelain, and shockingly bright blue eyes.

'Waltz' she oozed. 'I have a job for you.'

'Well I doubt you summoned me for my company' Waltz replied. 'Though most women want more than just my company' he added slyly.

'You're childish humour is wasted on me' the witch sneered as Waltz rose to his feet again. 'I would appreciate it if you would desist.'

Waltz glanced at the room around him. The witch's hut was a crowded place, one of many where she worked and lived. Some of her other homes were more lavish, larger, and more expensive.

Here was a fairly modest build in size, situated in a forest so deep; one would die of starvation before finding it.

Inside, it was dark and cluttered and dimly lit, every available space was filled by some ingredient needed for a potion or spell, bottles of strange liquids, items both blessed and cursed, even some caged animals, all of which were completely silent and almost completely still.

Upon a perch was a slender hawk, there was a fat green frog imprisoned in a glass bottle with a round body and a tall narrow neck, several mice sitting upon the shelf seemingly free though they remained where they were, and a small tank on the floor, filled with newts.

Waltz had been summoned to this hut before. He hated it, and he hated all the creepy animals. They weren't natural, and didn't behave how animals should.

The millions of spiders hanging in the rafters didn't help either. Waltz hunched his shoulders, glancing up at the rafters and hoping none of the tiny spiders fell on him.

Spiders. They were the thing he hated most. The way they moved and scuttled...he found them freaky.

'There is something I have lost and wish to be returned to me' the witch continued.

'What is it?' Waltz asked, trying to ignore the fat green frog stuck in the glass bottle.

It was staring at him, staring and staring.

Waltz hunched his shoulders further, gritting his teeth and feeling ever more uncomfortable.

It's like the frog knew what he was thinking!

'Are you listening to me?' the witch asked him, wearing an expression of extreme displeasure.

'I'm sorry?' Waltz stammered.

The witch frowned even harder.

'My seal' she repeated. 'I have lost it' she told him. 'Someone has taken it from me, and I wish to have it back.'

*

*

The next thing that Waltz knew, he was standing in the pouring rain late at night, sulking beneath his wide-brimmed hat and long trench coat.

'This sucks' Waltz grumbled to himself. 'This is exactly the opposite to where I want to be.'

He shivered then as a trickle of icy cold water ran down his spine.

'Well' he mumbled, 'I guess I better get going.'

He walked down the busy street with his head bowed and hands in his pockets, moving slowly through the crowd.

It was dark all around him; the gloom was only broken by the gentle orange glow of the lanterns that hung from the buildings flanking either side of him.