Chapter 14 - ^^

Chapter Fourteen

A Repeated Pain in the Ass (but not in that way)

It was only a short distance to the front door. Sumaey walked a few steps back from Waltz as he led the way.

'I wonder what it looks like inside' Waltz was saying. 'I bet it's really cool' he gleamed.

'Yeah' Sumaey droned in a bored manner. 'Really cool.'

'I've never been inside a wizard's house before.'

'Have you not?'

'No.'

Sumaey glanced away, before looking back at Waltz.

'What does the witch's house look like?'

'Utterly ghastly.'

'Then how do you know you will like whatever the wizard's house will look like?'

'Because' Waltz said glancing back at her with a cheeky grin, 'I want to see the wizard's house, I've not been forced to appear there against my will, and anyway...' he continued facing ahead again, 'the witch always moves from one place to another. She always takes her stuff with her, but she doesn't have a house like this. Every place I have seen her in so far looked like temporary accommodations, you know, abandoned places...dark places...it suits her character really.'

'Maybe she does have a house' Sumaey suggested, 'but she doesn't want you to know where it is.'

'Now there's a thought' Waltz muttered. 'It never really occurred to me before.'

'I think you should use your brain a little more' Sumaey politely notified him. 'I think you might surprise yourself.'

'Ha ha ha....' Waltz grumbled at her, before facing ahead again.

'What is the witch's name that you serve?'

'I don't know' Waltz shrugged.

'Well how old is she?'

'Her age?' Waltz gave her a look as if she had just turned green. 'What difference does that make? Why should I even care?'

'The more you now about your enemy the more chance you have to hurt them' Sumaey replied with a level frown, speaking to him as if he were a particularly stupid dog. 'What do you know about her?'

Waltz turned away, brow furrowed in thought.

'Nothing' he told her at last, 'nothing at all.'

'Oh come on' Sumaey began.

'Nothing' Waltz interrupted, speaking loudly. 'Every time I meet her she has a different appearance, a young child...an old lady...eye and hair colour and height and girth are different...even skin colour...even species...she appeared as a siren once. And every time I meet her, I do so in a different location...well......maybe meet is too much of a generous word......more like dragged before her against my will.'

Sumaey sighed wearily, crossing her arms and shrugging her shoulders.

'She is powerful then.'

'To say the least' Waltz huffed. 'I am literally like an ant to her, and she could literally crush me in the same way if she wanted.'

'If she's is really that powerful, why doesn't she do her own missions?'

'Why would you when someone else can do your dirty work for you?' Waltz replied.

'Alright' Sumaey said straightening again, 'what's the worse thing she's ever made you do?'

'I'm not talking about that.'