Chapter 12 - A New Beginning

Chapter Twelve

A New Beginning

Several days passed in which Waltz and Sumaey spent their time relaxing. They slept indoors and were served breakfast using what little money Waltz had been given by the witch. It was quite an adventure getting to know one another and spending so much time together. Waltz on the first night made the mistake of booking a single room with a double bed. When Sumaey saw this, she turned and gave him a disapproving glare.

'What?' Waltz had shrugged. 'A single room is cheaper.'

*

*

He slept on the cold hard floor that night while Sumaey lounged out on the double bed happily, stretching out in all directions in a very cat-like manner.

The next morning they stood side by side in the tiny bathroom before the mirror. Sumaey brushed her teeth while Waltz beside her gargled some mouthwash.

She finished brushing her teeth, then washed her face and hands and brushed her hair.

She turned to Waltz with a glare. He was still gargling.

With his head still tilted back he glanced at her happily, the edges of his lips curled in a sly grin.

She stared at him with a level expression.

Her hand reached out and she pinched his nose.

Waltz began to panic, flailing around and spitting mouthwash everywhere.

*

*

At breakfast the pair sat at the dining area. Waltz waved at the waitress who sailed over to their table quickly, drawn by his smile.

'Good morning' Waltz said politely to her. 'May we please have some porridge?'

'No dear' Sumaey interrupted loudly. 'You owe me for leaving me out in the woods alone remember?' she turned to the waitress. 'Two full breakfasts please.'

The waitress bowed and left hastily.

Waltz turned to Sumaey, opening his mouth he was about to protest at the cost of the order just placed, when he saw Sumaey's expression.

He quickly closed his mouth, choosing wisely to stay silent.

When the breakfasts had been brought to them, Waltz shared a wink with the waitress before she placed their food on the table.

'Awww' Waltz said staring down at his plate. 'Hey Sumaey, look at these baby sausages, look how small they are.'

She raised her head.

'I've seen smaller.'

The waitress stifled a giggle as she moved away, though she made it all too obvious.

Waltz stared at Sumaey flatly, totally unimpressed.

'Oh come on' Sumaey smirked, turning her attention back down to her food. 'You laid that out for me; all I did was nod it into the net.'

*

*

When the money had run out, Waltz and Sumaey left the town. They sat on the edge of the forest nearby, gazing out onto the open plains and the town a distance away they had just come from.

Sumaey lay on her front facing Waltz, while Waltz leant back against a tree with his arms folded behind his head, one foot propped up against a knee and waving to a silent tune in his head.