Chapter 8

The dungeon was so dark. Tamlin never came down. Feyre never got food or water. It can't have been very long, but Aelie was starving. Her cries never ceased now. Feyre was starting to think maybe her family wasn't coming. Maybe she was going to die. The sun had set, and she could see the brilliant stars- the symbol of her home, as she prepared to die.

.....................................

Aelin winnowed Cassian while Mor had Azriel. They were standing in the woods outside the Spring court mansion. 

Turns out, Tamlin wasn't as broken as he had led people to believe. The mansion was once again neat and cared for, vines of roses growing up the sides. It would be easy for Aelin to jump up to the second floor balconies and continue from there, but Rhys wouldn't let her. For all his wanting to get his family back, he was very careful. They didn't know where Feyre was held. 

"Can't believe he put Faebane in her food," He muttered to himself. "Can't believe I let that happen." There was nothing to be done except wait for the Faebane to wear off, assuming Tamlin was dumb enough to let it. 

Rhysand started moving. 

"Rhys, where do you think you're going?" Mor hissed. 

"I need to find my family." 

Aelin grabbed his arm. "Let me go. I spent ten years of my life sneaking in and out of homes. It'll be faster and quieter." Rhysand nodded his consent, and Aelin walked off. 

The place was still mostly deserted. Few of the guards had come back, and were now spread too thinly across the large property. Aelin found the back door and easily picked the lock. She entered to the kitchens, where only one servant was. The woman stepped back in surprise but quickly recovered. 

"I'm so glad you're here. I'm Alis. Tamlin has Feyre somewhere here, but he won't even  tell me where. He's not feeding her. You have to hurry!"

 Aelin nodded and ran to the hall. After checking with her fae senses, she confirmed there were no guards in the mansion. Aelin suspected if Tamlin had a dungeon, that's where Feyre would be. 

She found it quickly. Tamlin himself stood guarding the stairwell down. She'd have to get Rhys. He could take Tamlin down. 

............. 

Aelin walked back into the woods. 

"Did you find her?" Not to Aelin's surprise, Rhys winnowed in front of her. 

"Yes, but the dungeon where she's being kept is guarded by Tamlin himself. Thought you'd like to deal with him." Rhys immediately tried running that way.

"Ah, no, we're all coming with you. Something might go wrong. There's probably traps." 

So, they all winnowed directly into Tamlin's mansion-right in front of Tamlin. He snarled, jumping at Rhys. They began to fight, but Rhys did his job, slowly leading Tamlin away from the stairwell. When they were far enough away, Aelin and Mor ran down. They found a small room with three cramped cells. In one was the huddled form of Feyre, holding a crying Aelie. 

"Feyre! Are you ok? Did he do anything to you?" Mor asked, quickly unlocking the cell with the keys that had been conveniently left on a hook. Feyre shook her head. Crashes came from above, and more snarls. Sounded like Cass and Az had joined the fight. The women ran back up to find Tamlin unconscious. Alis was also there.

"Rhysand, please take me with you. Tamlin's held me here, forcing me to work with him. I won't be any trouble. I just want to get back to my family." The group agreed, and they left the mansion. None of the guards dared stop them. 

As they were nearing the woods, they heard a growl. A creature pounced on Aelin. It was Tamlin in his animal form. Finally revealing his true nature. Aelin kicked him off, turning to her new family. 

"Rhys, take Feyre and go. Mor, you can get Cass and Alis, I hope. Az, you can fly off. Go. I'll take care of this." 

Mor opened her mouth to argue, but Aelin was already turning back to the beast before her. He attacked, his claws tearing into Aelin arm. At least she was earning all her scars back. Aelin smiled evilly at the animal.

"My turn." She flicked her wrists, and two knives extended from her suit. She'd had it especially made after ending up here. Just like the one Arobynn had made for her. Aelin jumped, ramming one of her knives into Tamlin's shoulder. He wrenched free with a howl. The knives wouldn't be enough to pierce anything important under his thick hide. Tamlin got ready to pounce, a growl in his throat. Then he looked up. Aelin looked too, and saw Rhys still flying above her, holding Feyre and Aelie. He was going to hurt her family. 

As Tamlin jumped, Aelin did too. The animal was almost to Rhys. Time, slowed, and Aelin felt heat on her back. She tackled Tamlin to the ground, coming out on top. She held a hand to his throat. It was engulfed in flames. Someone gasped behind her. Aelin looked up, to find fire behind her. Coming from her back. She didn't have time to comprehend it. She put Tamlin in a choke hold, hands still on fire. 

"Never. Hurt. My. Family." She shoved him into the ground and got up, winnowing away in a column of fire.