Chapter 14

A/N Thanks to all those who have voted or commented on this story! It's good to know all the Maasians have enjoyed this! I'm trying to update regularly (Maybe too often) to not leave you on a cliffhanger too long (Sorry it took a little longer this time). I finally have a firm ending for this book, though I don't know how long that will take. I'm glad to know other people feel the same way I do about these two amazing series. Comment wether you think they should be made into movies! 

The autumn breeze was a shock after the winter stage the Night Court was in at the moment. The lake that stretched before Aelin right now rippled calmly. She shuddered at the thought of what might live under it. Even her fire couldn't touch creatures of the water. 

Beron gestured to the center of the body of water, which was where he had emerged 500 years prior. It was now a temple, dedicated to some half-forgotten hero. It had been abandoned, but Fae magic had kept it looking almost new. 

Aelin walked quickly, even Cassian struggled to keep up. The lake was eerily quiet. Not even the leaves stirred here. 

The temple inside wasn't any less unnatural. It was open the the elements outside, only wide carved pillars holding up the roof. Vines had grown up them, perfect, orderly, not one leaf out of place. in the center was a stone altar. Aelin winced. It was similar to one she'd been on before, only months ago. 

In a circle around the altar was indeed a ring of Wyrdmarks. To anyone else, it was simply decoration, but the small group knew otherwise. 

Aelin continued to walk to the altar, and easily jumped onto it. There was no sign of reverence for the long dead hero in her posture. Beron stiffened. 

Aelin sniffed. "This will do for my purposes I suppose. Beron, you are excused."

"Excuse me," Beron said, his voice breaking the uncomfortable silence in a way Aelin's could not. "What do you think you're doing? This is a sacred place. Are not the dead allowed to keep their dignity? And, as I am the High Lord of this court, I have the right to be here." 

Aelin grinned. "Ah, drop the professionalism cousin, we both know it never has suited you. Being the worm you are, you were never destined to a life in court. If I were you, I'd do what your queen has commanded you, before Eris finds himself with quite a generous amount of power before he's supposed to, if you know what I mean." 

Beron inclined his head slightly, a look of pure disgust crossing his usual thou-art-but-a-peasant-to-me look. The three Illyrians could only stand in awe as he left. Before them was a true queen, deserving of her literally otherworldly powers. She turned her gaze to them now, a hint of her magic burning in the two turquoise ringed with gold eyes that turned friendly again quickly. 

"Cass, time for plan kick Erawan back to hell and burn Maeve's ugly face off. Plan KEBTHAMUFF for short. We have work to do." 

The general smiled knowingly and was gone with a beat of his strong wings. Rhysand whirled to the fire breather though. 

"You just took command of my general, and therefore my most successful army. How are they so under your spell and what do you need with them?" His words were less friendly than before. 

Aelin all but ignored him, examining the alter, to speak only minutes later. 

"I may only have, what has it been? Twenty one years of life, but I've made more enemies than even you have, high lord. Most of them are attempting to conquer my world, as per usual with the antagonists. I have need of your forces, should you allow it. It's the only way to save my people." Her eyes had a sincere look in them. Rhysand couldn't help wanting to assist her.