Chapter 28

The battlement walls of the city were lined with soldiers. Each stone-faced at what marched closer. 

The witch tower was still down, thank the gods. But even from the distance, Aedion could spy soldiers toiling to repair its damaged wheel. Yet without another wyvern to replace the one felled yesterday, it would not be moving soon. 

It wouldn't make today easier, though. No, today would hurt. 

"They'll be within the archer's range in about an hour," Elgan reported. Darrow's orders be damned. Kyllian was still general, yes, but every report his friend received, Aedion got as well. 

"Remind them to make their shots count. Pick targets."

The Bane knew that without being told. The others- they had proved their mettle in these battles, but a reminder never hurt. 

Elgan aimed for the sections of the city walls that Ren and the Fae nobles had deemed the best advantage for their archers. Against a hundred thousand troops, they might only stand to thin the lines, but to let the enemy charge unchallenged at the walls would be utter folly. And break the spirit of these people before they met their end. 

"What is that?" Ren murmured. Pointing to the horizon. 

Sharp- Ren's eyes had to be sharper than most humans, since it was still just a smudge on the horizon for Aedion. 

A breath passed. The dark smaudge began to take form, rising into the blue sky. 

Flying toward them . 

"Ilken? Ren squinted as he shielded his eyes against the glare.

"Too big," Aedion breathed. 

Closer, the mass flying above the teeming army became clearer. Larger. 

"Wyverns," Aedion said, dread curdling in  his stomach. 

The Ironteeth aerial legion had been unleashed at last. 

"Oh gods," Ren whispered. 

Against a terrestrial siege, Orynth might have held out- a few days or weeks, but they would have lasted. 

But with the thousand or so Ironteeth witches who soared toward them on those wyverns... They would not need their infernal towers to destroy this city, the castle. To rip open the city gates and walls and let in Morath's hordes. 

The soldiers began to spot the wyverns. People cried out, along the battlements. Up in the castle looming behind them. 

This siege would not even get the chance to be a siege. 

It would end today. Within a few hours. 

Racing feet skidded to a halt. and then Lysandra was there, panting. 

"Tell me what to do, where to go." Her emerald eyes were wide with terror- helpless terror and despair. "I can change into a wyvern try to keep them-" 

"There are over a thousand Ironteeth," Aedion said, his voice hollow in his ears. Her fear whetted something sharp and dangerous in him, but he refrained from reaching for her. "There is nothing you or we can do." 

A few dozen of the Ironteeth had sacked Rifthold in a matter of hours. This host...

Aedion focused on his breathing, on keeping his head high as soldiers began to step away from their positions along the walls. 

Unacceptable. 

"STAY WHERE YOU ARE," he bellowed. "HOLD THE LINE, AND DO NOT BALK." 

The roared command halted those who'd looked prone to bolt, at least. But it didn't stop the shaking swords, the stench of their rising fear.