Chapter 42

A tally of deaths, as they would be seen on paper for the leaders to read (I would suggest looking carefully for the hidden information on one character) :

High Lords:

 Beron Vanserra- swarmed with Valg footsoldiers when his sons could not get to him.

 Left behind: Four sons and wife 

Tamlin (last name unknown)-  Defending Feyre, High lady of the Night Court 

Left behind: wife and mate Cicily, suspected High Lady, and unborn child

Court members: 

Azriel (Last name unknown)- defending the western gate 

Left behind: Mate Petrah Blueblood

Gavriel (Last name unknown)- Defending western gate and son

Left behind: Son Aedion Ashryver and possible daughter Petrah Blueblood

Common soldiers: 

(Need I list millions of dead nameless soldiers? That part's not important) 

...............................

They were still alive. 

Aelin marveled at the beauty of the world from her balcony. It was two days since the war ended, and today would come the long boring meeting between angry leaders on what to do next. Just what a queen would want to do. 

Well, not queen yet. They had not discussed a coronation, and Darrow hadn't caved in letting her have the throne. 

.......................

"We do not need the 'High Lords' as they call themselves in our lands any longer! They could get ideas about taking over!" One of her court members yelled. 

Aelin stood, and the room fell quiet. "The High Lords are our friends and allies," she spoke calmly. "Should they wish to stay longer, that is what will happen. But should they wish to go home, I will again open a portal for them. But if anyone else wishes to speak ill of them, then you may be excused now." 

No one moved nor spoke. "I have other meetings to attend, so we can discuss this situation later. You are excused." 

The lords left quickly as the courts came in. Yet another meeting for her to attend. 

When they were seated, Rhysand spoke first. "I think it's time for us to get back to our own world now. I'm afraid it might not be going so well since we were all here." 

Aelin nodded. "Unless we have something else we need to talk about, I could send you back right now. 

................

Aelin stood before the archway they had designated for realm traveling. 

She cut her palm with a dagger, and began to write the wyrdmarks. 

One row, and a portal opened. A dark world lay on the other side. Amren stepped forward. 

"I'll visit the Night Court, but it's time to turn my world to its former glory. We don't all have plans to take over the world." She didn't give the Night Court a chance to protest for not knowing sooner. 

She walked off into the world, and a castle appeared before the portal closed, opening to the forest that once contained a wall separating human from fae. 

The High Lords said their goodbyes, and departed. Petrah went as well. To see the world she and her mate should have lived in together. 

Asterin went as well, with Mor. Manon didn't come to say goodbye, but they could see each other any time. 

Rhysand and Feyre went last. As they were about to step through, Feyre gasped. "Something's happened to Aelie!" 

...................

Aelin stood with Rhysand and Feyre once more in their home. She didn't have any words for what she saw. 

Aelie was dead. 

The only proof of who had done it was the traces of dark magic in the air. 

The queen recalled what Maeve had said to her. I have killed someone you dearly loved, fire-blessed, and you will never recover when you find out who!

Not Rowan, Aelie. The precious child Aelin had come to love. "I am so sorry," Was all Aelin could whisper as she watched the child get taken away. 

She winnowed out, knowing the heartbroken parents needed to be alone. 

.............................

When she got back to the arch, a shudder went through the world. 

The portal had been open far too long. Aelin quickly closed it. She would visit. She would find a way to console the Night Court after their horrid loss. 

but for now, to the last meeting of the day. With Darrow. 

...........

A/N another short chapter, but we're getting really close to the end now. 

That was depressing. I can't believe I just killed a child! I'm so sorry that had to happen. Wow.