Chapter 26

A/N You know, all my readers and followers are amazing. You guys have given me so much support in writing this. I never expected it to go this far, I started it for fun. So thank you for that. I am 10 votes away from 100 votes on this story! Think we can make it by the time the fanfic's over? We'll see, I guess. Anyways, here it is...

.................

Aelin slid the tankard of ale across the table to where Vernon now sat, chains loosened enough for him to use his hands. 

One false move, and her fire would melt him. 

Only Gavriel and Fenrys stood in the chamber, Gavriel in Lion form. 

Rowan and Lorcan had snarled at her order to stay in the hall, but Aelin had declared that they would only hinder her efforts here. 

Aelin sipped from her own tankard and hummed. "An odd day, when one has to compliment their enemy's good taste in ale."

Vernon frowned at the tankard. 

"It's not poisoned," Aelin said. "It'd defeat the the purpose if it was." 

Vernon took a small sip. "I suppose you think plying me with ale and talking like we're steadfast friends will get you what you want to know."

"Would you prefer the alternative?" She smiled slightly. "I certainly don't." 

"The methods may differ, but the end result will be the same." 

"Tell me something interesting, Vernon, and maybe it will change." 

His eyes swept over her. "Had I known you'd grow into such a queen, perhaps I would not have bothered to kneel for Adarlan." A sly smile. "So different from your parents. Did your father ever torture a man?"

Ignoring the taunt, Aelin drank, swishing the ale in her mouth, as if it could wash away the taint of this place. "You tried and failed to win power for yourself. First by stealing it from Elide, then by trying to sell her to Erawan. Morath has sacked Perranth, and no doubt marches on Orynth, and yet we find you here. Hiding." She drank again. "One might think Erawan's favor has shifted elsewhere." 

"Perhaps he stationed me here for a reason, Majesty."

Her magic already felt him out. To make sure no heart of iron or wyrdstone beat in his chest. No other-wordly object was with him. He was a mere mortal worm. 

"I think you were cast aside," She said, leaning back and crossing her arms. "I think you outlived your usefulness, especially after you failed to recapture Elide, and Erawan didn't feel like entirely ridding himself of a lackey, but also didn't want you skulking about. So here you are." She waved a hand to the chamber, the mountain above them. "The lovely Ferian Gap." 

It's beautiful in the spring," Vernon said. 

Aelin smiled. "Again, tell me something interesting, and perhaps you'll live to see it." 

"Do you swear on it? On your throne? That you shall not kill me?" A glance toward Fenrys and Gavriel, stone-faced behind her. "Nor any of your companions?" 

Aelin snorted. "I was hoping you'd hold out longer before showing your hand." She drained the rest of her ale. "But yes. I swear that neither me nor any of my companions from this world will kill you if you tell us what you know." (Hope you guys caught the loophole ;) .)

Fenrys started. All the confirmation Vernon needed that she meant it- that they had not planned it. Of course he wouldn't know her court was always in the dark about her plans. 

Vernon drank deeply from his ale. Then said, "Maeve has come to Morath." 

Aelin snorted. Yes, Vernon had been discarded. Maeve had come and gone from Morath months ago.