Faking Deaf:

(This title is so awful what-)

I wandered through the lonely halls, head down, eyes trained to the floor. It was lunch, meaning everyone would be in the Great Hall scoffing their faces. That was a relief. At least then I wouldn't have to deal with all the sympathetic stares or rude comment that people though I couldn't hear.

Maybe this was worse. When I was younger, being in Harry's shadow seemed like the worst thing imaginable. He was the Boy Who Lived. I would just be the Girl Who Got Lucky and went untouched by the Dark Lord.

Growing up was tough. We were thrown into the hands of our awful aunt and uncle, as well as Dudley, arguably the most disgusting thing on the planet. So what have I done which is so terrible for most of my life? I've pretended to be deaf.

It sounds crazy, I know. And it is. But sometimes I can't help but think that it's all that I have. I have Harry. I love him, obviously, but he is... I don't know. Different. He means something to everyone. I don't. I mean nothing.

I took a bite of my food, scanning the hall for my brother. Where was he? Whatever. He's probably with his amazing friends, in his amazing house, with his amazing life. No surprise I was put in a different house from him. Pretending to be deaf is a bit cunning isn't it? Or maybe it's just stupid? I don't know.

"Ugh that Potter is getting on my nerves. Why was she put in Slytherin?" I turned my head slightly to see Pansy and her goons sitting down close to me. Ah. If there was one thing I wish I couldn't hear, it would be Parkinson's screeches.

"I know. We've had to deal with that for 4 years." They all chuckled, whipping their hair in a way that made me feel sick. I took another bite of my meal, unfazed by their cruel words. I'm used to it. With pretending to be deaf comes with pretending not to hear all the mean things people say about you or worse- what they say about your family. That makes it harder to bite your tongue.

"Hey." That was a familiar voice. Draco Malfoy. The boy who my brother despised. The boy who all the girls swooned at. He had hardly ever spoke to me, of course. Just about me.

"Hey, Draco." Pansy dragged out way too much. I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes.

"What are you gossiping about?" He asked, grabbing an apple. Ugh. Why an apple?

"Take a guess." It was quiet for a moment before he muttered,

"Potter?" My breath hitched in my throat and I felt my heart increase. A round of laughs followed and I couldn't help but turn my head. My eyes automatically found his icy ones and I felt my cheeks heat up. "Maybe she heard us." He chuckled, his lips barely moving. Shit. Do something. Anything.

A soft smile made it's way on my lip, faker than Pansy's stupid laugh. The group looked at eachother before putting on the most exaggerated and pathetic smiles, all waving and pretending to be nice.

"She's such a freak, isn't she?" Pansy said through a teethy, disgusting smile.

"She's hot though." Wait, did I just hear that right? Did Malfoy call me hot? Pansy made another remark but my eyes remained trained on Draco. He was staring at me so intently I was almost sure he knew. "Hello." He mouthed over dramatically. I cringed. "How are you?" Okay, he was kidding. I felt the sudden urge to throw up, and stood from the table. Draco's gaze didn't falter. Instead, he watched as I waved to the group then ran off.

Smooth.

Wandering down the halls, I thought about Draco. What if he knew? But he couldn't. Nobody knows. Not even my own brother. We've gotten through these years by writing or mouthing, even though I always knew what he was going to say. I was just used to not talking. Unless I was alone. Alone in a deserted area or a tower that was being unused.