Sneeking Out

When they arrived home, Treasurekeeper had Secretkeeper make and clean up dinner without any help. Fearkeeper was watering the plants and cleaning the bathroom. Secretkeeper was happy she had the chores she did. Fearkeeper got some of the worse ones.

Treasurekeeper had lectured Secretkeeper the entire time about how rude she was and all about how much trouble she would be in once mother returned. Treasurekeeper didn't stop there, oh no. She told Secretkeeper all about how terrible the life of Treasurekeeper was and called Secretkeeper some names that were best not to be repeated.

Secretkeeper said nothing the entire time, wondering if her sister would close her mouth for ten seconds. Maybe she'd realize she was basically talking to herself at this point. Secretkeeper stopped listening and tuned Treasurekeeper out. Secretkeeper had found that was the best way to stay out of trouble.

"Morrowseer was mine, we were meant to be. We were going to be the luckiest dragons and have FOUR dragonets. We'd be in a position of power, together. Maybe I could even be queen," Treasurekeeper droned on. She never stopped.

Fearkeeper was laughing his head off at this point while he dusted the furniture. Secretkeeper could see it. Fearkeeper was good at silent laughing.

Secretkeeper just smiled.

"And what are you smiling at? Is this amusing... how you RUINED my love life?" Treasurekeeper questioned. "Because it's not. You have no idea what kind of bond we had. We would have been amazing but now..."

A snort came from the other room and Treasurekeeper went to annoy Fearkeeper. Secretkeeper was glad Treasurekeeper was off Secretkeeper's tail. Secretkeeper was annoyed, sure, but she just did what her name suggested.

Keep it a secret. Keep it hidden. Keep everything buried.

"Alright, go to bed, I cannot bear either of you much longer!" Treasurekeeper exclaimed with a sigh.

Fearkeeper rolled his eyes and put the cleaning supplies away. Secretkeeper did the same.

Without a word, they both went to their room and laid down in the beds across from one another.

"Oh my moons! Did you hear her?" Fearkeeper exclaimed, bursting out into quiet chuckles. He made his voice sound like Treasurekeeper's and continued, "Oh, my love life! Ruined!"

"Yeah," Secretkeeper agreed. "It was kind of funny."

"'Right, night," Fearkeeper claimed, pulling his thin blanket over his head.

"Good night," Secretkeeper stated, staring at the ceiling.

An hour or so later, Secretkeeper slowly inched her way off her bed, careful not to make any noise. She didn't want Treasurekeeper to wake up.

Fearkeeper was fast asleep with his thin blanket on the floor. Secretkeeper shook her head and grabbed the blanket. She laid it on him carefully.

His face relaxed and Secretkeeper gave him a sad smile. Poor Fearkeeper. He was going to be stuck on this island forever, possibly without a girlfriend if Wishful didn't return.

Stop procrastinating. You need to talk to Dreamcatcher.

Secretkeeper opened the room door and closed it carefully. She peaked her head around and into the main room.

Her sister had every one of her jewels on the table, counting them. One piece of jewelry for every birthday she had. And every birthday Secretkeeper and Fearkeeper had.

Secretkeeper had only celebrated her birthday once and that was last year. Dreamcatcher found out and she had her family, including Morrowser, plan a surprise party for Secretkeeper. That was when she got the first thing that was truly hers.

It was bracelet made of books that looked like they had locks on them. Dreamcatcher used her life's savings, and took a little of her brother's (SHH! Don't tell Morrowseer!), to pay for it. The bracelet was hinting toward Secretkeeper's name and Secretkeeper loved it. It was more of an inside joke between her and Dreamcatcher.

More secrets her family will never know.

Secretkeeper was wearing it at this moment. Whenever she went to Dreamcatcher's home, she brought the braclet and wore it. She had never shown her parents or siblings. The less they all knew, the better.

Treasurekeeper was distracted, she won't know if Secretkeeper slipped away. Treasurekeeper was around her jewels, it took a few hours for her to put them away. Especially if she was polishing them, which it seemed like she was.

She tucked her head in and went back upstairs. She carefully opened her room door and shut it once more. She walked over to the window and leaped out of it, carefully making sure not to move the lose stones.

Secretkeeper made it out of her house without waking Feakeeper or alerting Treasurekeeper. That was always step one. Now time to make it into Dreamcatcher's room without alerting her parents.

Fearkeeper knew Secretkeeper snuck out at night. He caught her doing it and he followed. That was why he knew Secretkeeper had a girlfriend.

And she knew about his girlfriend because after Fearkeeper learned about Secretkeeper's, he demanded that Secretkeeper hooked him up with one of her friends from school. So she did.

So far, Wishful and Fearkeeper seemed to be getting along. They had went on a midnight flight with Dreamcatcher and Secretkeeper once. It was a wonderful double date.

Secretkeeper did a quick flip in the air. She loved flying. Flying reminded her of the freedom that was soon to be hers and Dreamcatcher's. Secretkeeper and Dreamcatcher free from the NightWings.

Her fantasy was always about running away and finding a homeless dragonet. Then adopting it so she and Dreamcatcher could raise it like their own. She and Dreamkeeper both wanted a dragonet to raise but didn't want it to be their own.

It was weird, Secretkeeper knew that. That was why only she and Dreamcatcher knew about it.

Again, secrets know one else will ever know about.

Dreamcatcher's house wasn't too far from Secretkeeper's. It was about a ten minute flight at most and Secretkeeper had made it.

Secretkeeper arrived at Dreamcatcher's home. Butterflies danced in her stomach as she crept along the edge of the small house that amazingly fit four dragons.

Secretkeeper crept up to Dreamcatcher's window and looked through it, keeping her body low to the ground. She was a NightWing so she blended in fairly well.

Dreamcatcher was sitting on the edge of her bed and Morrowseer was sitting across from her. She looked angry and Morrowseer didn't seem to be helping.

They talked back and forth for a little while before Secretkeeper lightly bumped the window.

Morrowseer caught Secretkeeper's eye and walked over to the window. He opened it up and Secretkeeper crawled in.

Then, Secretkeeper noticed blood running down Dreamcatcher's palm.