Assassination

Something slammed Secretkeeper into the ground. She growled and threw the attack forward and off her back. The NightWing whirled around and lunged at her. 

Secretkeeper rolled to the left and tripped the NightWing. The NightWing hit the dirt and Secretkeeper ran to Dreamcatcher's window. 

She saw two NightWings in there and she heard Morrowseer talking outside Dreamcatcher's room. What was he waiting for?

A sharp, clean dagger was up against Secretkeeper's neck and a warm body pressed to hers.

Her attacker pressed her to the ground and stood on top of her. She was pinned by the neck and forearms. Her attacker began talking to the other two NightWings. 

Secretkeeper couldn't hear what they were saying. She relaxed a little bit, hoping her attacker would too and she could be free. Her attacker was smart and held on. Secretkeeper moved her head slightly to hear what they were saying.

"Do it," a NightWing growled. The voice sounded familiar. Not a good familiar, a familiar that gave her shivers down her spine.

"Who invited him? I could of done this without alerting this one down here," another NightWing snapped.

"Says the same assassin who got caught," the first NightWings remarked. "He can be useful."

"Shut up. Besides, Morrowseer took care of it for me. Since this NAUGHTY one I'm on always seems to be where I need to be," the second NightWing said. "Can I kill this runty NightWing?"

Was Wishful's assassin in her or in the room with Dreamcatcher? These were assassins, they had to be. Which meant she and Dreamcatcher were in trouble.

The first NightWing snorted, "I don't care."

A third NightWing said in a panic, "Please don't make me kill her."

"She killed Wishful, do it, snail brain," the NightWing on Secretkeeper snapped in a low voice.

SNAP!

Secretkeeper wasn't sure who was dead. She had a feeling she knew, but it could have been anyone of them. Maybe that third NightWing was taking to long to complete his mission so they killed him? No, Secretkeeper couldn't afford to believe for a second that he love was dead. They were meant to be, they just were.

She held back a sob and water in her eyes. She had to figure out who was dead first before jumping to conclusions. 

For a long time, none of the NightWings talked and her attacker didn't move. She stayed right on top of Secretkeeper.. Why weren't they fleeing? What was going to happen to Secretkeeper? Was Dreamcatcher alright?

She held her breath. There was a reason they were silent and she may die if she doesn't stay silent. Panic chorused through her blood and her heart pounded in her chest so loudly, Secretkeeper was sure her attacker could feel it.

The ground began feeling a little warmer and Secretkeeper's lungs began to burn slightly. Her attackers were whispering so low, she couldn't hear them.

Her attacker loosened her grip just the slightest bit and Secrekkeeper took the chance to roll left. Her attack was off balanced and fell to Secretkeeper's right. Secretkeeper got up and let her back face the wall so she couldn't get attacked from behind.

Her attacker got up and stalked toward her, teeth barred. It was then when Secretkeeper recognized her attacker.

Quickstrike,

She was back to ruin Secretkeeper's life once more. She refused to let that happen. Secretkeeper launched at her and pinned her to the ground by Quickstrike's forearms. Quickstrike tried to snap at Secretkeeper and missed.

Secretkeeper was knocked to the ground by another dragon and she tumbled into a tree, her face in the dirt. She got up and saw the two dragons stalking toward her. It was dark and she couldn't figure out who the second one was.

While she was watching the second dragon to try and figure out her identity, Quickstrike slammed Secretkeeper into the tree again and Secretkeeper swore more stars appeared in the night sky.

Then she saw the second dragon get violently slammed into the ground by a larger dragon. Maybe her dad found her again.

Quickstrike punched Secretkeeper and Secretkeeper collapsed next to the tree.

Moments later, the larger dragon walked up to Secretkeeper and his voice was familiar. It was like Morrowseer's. Maybe he came to rescue her.

It was morning when she awoke and she was back in her bed. Morrowseer was by her side. She smiled.

"Hey," Secretkeeper claimed, sitting up so they were at eye level. He didn't smile or anything.

Morrowseer claimed, staring her in the eyes, "Dreamcatcher... she's, ah, well... gone."

Secretkeeper wasn't sure what to say. She had a feeling Dreamcatcher died, after all that's why the assassins were there. She didn't want to cry in front of him or look like she need comforting. 

Dreamcatcher, dead. Of everyone on the planet, why did it have to be Dreamcatcher.

Morrowseer got up and sat on her bed with her, with his wing around Secretkeeper. He said, "I get it. She was my sister."

He stopped and Secretkeeper relaxed into him and buried her head into his shoulder. She cried silently. She wanted her girlfriend, she didn't want to believe she had passed. Everything in her screamed not to believe it and that if she believed it, Dreamcatcher would truly leave.

She stopped sobbing, afraid of what Morrowseer was thinking of her. He didn't move or say a word. He was just there for her.

That was all she really needed.