Father

"What in the NightWing's volcano IS GOING ON?!" her father demanded. He was angry and Secretkeeper wanted to sob. She hated it when he used that voice.

"TREASUREKEEPER is a FAT, CAMEL-SNORTING--" Fearkeeper began.

"FEARKEEPER!" his father growled. "Do we say that about girls?"

"No," he mumbled.

Her father stated, "Let's try this again, respectfully. What happened?"

All three dragonets were sitting at the table across from him. Secretkeeper was closest to the door with Fearkeeper next to her. Treasurekeeper was at the other end of the table. She and Fearkeeper kept a leg-width away from one another, since that was all the room they had.

"He attacked me, father," Treasurekeeper claimed, sweetly.

"NO--" Fearkeeper began.

Her father asked impatiently, "Secretkeeper? Full story, now."

Secretkeeper told her father she had a nightmare (about what, she never specified) and about Fearkeeper waking her up. Then she continued with the breakfast dilemma and her agreement. Then she went on to Treasurekeeper attacking Fearkeeper and how she tried to tune them out. She purposely left out her panic attack— she didn't want to seem weak.

"She totally over exaggerated EVERYTHING! She exaggerated my cruelness, her 'responsible self', and Fearkeeper seeming nicer," Treasurekeeper complained.

Her father looked horrified. She wasn't sure if that was because of the story or Treasurekeeper's statement. Maybe both?

"Fearkeeper, Treasurekeeper, I will find a punishment for both of you but for now, go to time out in your rooms," her father ordered.

"But--" Treasurekeeper whined.

"Nope, go," her father growled.

Her sister stormed off and her brother walked away, more calmly than Treasurekeeper. Normal.

"Secretkeeper, I don't even know what to say. I believe you had more involvement than you're leading on. So can you please clean up this mess and fix it as your punishment?" he asked.

"Yes, I can, father," Secretkeeper mumbled. What had she done? Did her father really believe she was a liar?

He should KNOW Secretkeeper isn't a liar— she just tells the simplest version of the truth or says nothing at all.

"Thank you. Just between us, you are my favorite daughter because Treasurekeeper isn't mine. Even if she was, I don't think I'd like her much. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go speak with my son and step-daughter," her father claimed.

Secretkeeper nodded and he walked off toward their rooms.

She was lucky to have him as a father. He didn't immediately trust anyone yet trusted them enough to make them feel like he does. He wasn't nice to dragons nor trusted them but also cared about them enough to give them that speck of trust while still keeping his mind his own.

It was fascinating how he does it.

He also knew how to handle each of his dragonets to get respect while respecting them. He used a soft voice with Secretkeeper, a booming voice with Fearkeeper, and a commanding voice with Treasurekeeper. He was close enough to them that he could easily tear them down but build them up.

Needless to say, her father was her role model. She admired and respected him in a way she could never with her mother.

But what she didn't understand was Treasurekeeper. She was a "Keeper". Her father was Futurekeeper. That was part of the reason for Fearkeeper's name, they both start with "F" for father and son.

Anyway, if Treasurekeeper wasn't his, how did she get the name of her father?

Most dragon families don't do that. It was only her father's family that worried about it. That was because of some heroic act a century ago by Timekeeper. She didn't remember the full story but she did know his descendants have kept the "keeper" part at the end so everyone remembers him (or, as Secretkeeper believes, they want to be recognized).

So why is her name Treasurekeeper?

Secretkeeper shook her head and went to go clean up her sibling's mess. She figured that somethings were secrets for a reason and she may not have the right to know.

She began picking up the pots and knives. Some of the pots had dents in them and she'd have to ask her dad to fix them.

For the most part, things just fell and broke. The food and water were fine and there weren't any holes in the house. There may have been if her father had been any later.

A few hours later, everything looked even cleaner than it had been earlier and Secretkeeper was proud of herself.

Her father was sitting at the table. He hadn't said a word to her so she didn't say anything. She kept her mouth shut unless spoken to. It was the easiest way to stay out of trouble.

She had an hour before she was supposed to meet Morrowseer by the beach, which she wasn't exactly looking forward to. She just hoped Dreamcatcher might be there.

Maybe she could explain her theory to Morrowseer on why Dreamcatcher began having thoughts and he could help Secretkeeper track down Fearkeeper's girlfriend. Between Morrowseer's vast knowledge of the tribe and Secretkeeper's stealth, they may be able to make Wishful pay.

But first, see if Morrowseer had any ideas on who it could be.

An idea began to form in her head. A very bad idea but an idea nonetheless.

Favors are never a good thing because you are in debt to the other dragon but she would need a few favors.

Firstly, from Morrowseer and she knew he would make her pay in full, fake-girlfriend or not.