A New Soulmate

Secretkeeper held her breath. Fearkeeper didn't know Dreamcatcher's name because to him, her name was Dream and if he never saw her face, that meant he had no idea he killed Secretkeeper's girlfriend.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Morrowseer, Quickstrike, and Treasurekeeper entering. Treasurekeeper ignore Secretkeeper as usual and went straight to be.

Fearkeeper quickly wiped his tears away and went to greet Quickstrike. He must crush on her. He must also not know she tried to kill Wishful.

Who had killed Wishful if it wasn't Quickstrike?

After everyone went to bed, Secretkeeper got up and took a walk outside. She just need some time to think.

Morrowseer slipped his wing around her without warning. Secretkeeper didn't react. She wasn't sure why but she didn't feel like it. Like, there was a chance she was done fighting. She shuffled away from him.

"My brother killed Dreamcatcher," she cried. 

He stood there and stared at her. She wanted to yell at him, cry on his shoulder, push him over a cliff or SOMETHING for being so emotionless.

He was the only one ever there for you, she reminded herself. She didn't want to lose him, she couldn't afford that, least of all now. She needed him.

"What are you going to do about it?" he asked, letting her lean on him once more. This time, she didn't fight back. It was good knowing there was one safe place in this world.

Secretkeeper wasn't sure what she wanted but she just said, "I wish every dragon in there died."

That statement was made out of anger and that anger fueled her will to live. She wanted to watch them whither slowly. 

Where had that thought come from?

"I get it," he answered.

Was he like her? Was he too, taken over by the anger in this world so much so, he wanted to watch others suffer because of the hate built within him?

Secrets, lies, and betrayals gave her anger and anger made her live.  Anger also made her do regrettable things, like saying she wished her siblings were dead. Like attacking Treasurekeeper many years ago.

So she hid her anger and that lead to hate. She figured Morrowseer was the same way. He hid it and let it fuel his will to watch others burn before he ever did.

Could dragons like themselves ever learn to love? Was it possible?

"Treasurekeeper changed her name to Treasureseeker, like your mother. She is distancing herself from you and your father. Fearkeeper is thinking about changing his name to Fearfinder to distance himself from all of you. What I'm saying is that, they were never you family and never will be, leave them behind," Morrowseer explained.

She just stared at the sky. She had always thought about running away from her family, from this place since a small dragonet. Perhaps all this time, she just needed to forget her family and be happy here, with Morrowseer. It wasn't the perfect life she had envisioned but things change.

So she will adapt to them. Dreamcatcher would want her to be happy and she was happier  when Morrowseer was with her. So for her, she would love Morrowseer. For her father, she would leave her name to be Secretkeeper. And for herself, she would forget her family.

Maybe happiness was always there, she just needed to make a few tweaks to her life. 

Dreamcatcher will always be her girlfriend, in Secretkeeper's mind. She was too good for this world, and perhaps she is now living in a better one. One she deserves. 

But now Secretkeeper will do what any dragon would do, push on. She'd never love Morrowseer the way she loved Dreamcatcher but he was here with her. That was all she needed to know, that he'll be there when she needs him.

Secretkeeper answered, "I will leave them behind but I just have one thing to ask you."

"Yeah, I do as well," he claimed, looking at her. She looked at him and lost herself in his eyes.

"Go ahead," she said. 

He smiled. "Guess what time it is?"

"Midnight," she answered. Was that all?

"And your seventh hatching day," he chuckled. "You are truly free from them."

"That also means I can take on a new family of my own," Secretkeeper whispered. "And I wanted to know if you'd be a part of it."