❨31❩

♀︎

"Love, you can open your eyes again," Elijah is sitting next to me on the roller coaster of death, and he has the fucking audacity to laugh at my misery. Some part of my brain bolted earlier when he asked if I wanted to join him on this ride. Apparently, the needy and pathetically desperate part of me longed to spend some time with him, the more rational and sane part of myself wants to get as far away from this hell on earth as possible. 

"This shit is not my cup of tea," Scurrying out of the overused roller coaster, I hurry away from the workers who are smiling a little too much for my liking. There is always this creepy vibe in amusement parks, something about the weird stains and horror stories freaks me out. I refuse to be another statistic. 

"Do you even drink tea?" He laughs deeply and joins my side, interlacing our fingers so intuitively and a deep flutter builds in the lower part of my stomach. 

Smiling, "I don't necessarily enjoy the taste, no."

"Your point is invalid then, I'm afraid," The smirk on his lips is surely not appreciated at the moment, neither is the tightening in my core from the sight alone. "Join me for one more ride, love?"

"The doctor ordered you to stay at home, Lij. This is not staying at home!"

"No, this is having fun. You should definitely try it sometime," He offers in a teasing and sarcastic tone.

Rolling my eyes and fighting the smile on my lips, "You're funny."

"And you're beautiful," The subtle wink before he looks away from me is hardly detectable, but I saw it. Clamping my mouth shut, I spot his sister in the distance and the two of us walk in her direction. It's only now I realize that we're still holding hands, but I truly dob't want to let go of him and he makes no move to do so either. 

"Next time," I say to a smirking Tilly when we step onto the sidewalk and meet her. "You will be the one suffering through that suicide mission with your brother." 

"Yeah, no. Elijah basically begged me to stay behind and give the two of you some privacy," The knowing and teasing smile on her lips makes it awkward for me, her hard stare doesn't waver and Elijah decides to tug me with him and gesture for Tilly to come with us. "Where are we going?"

"Hopefully somewhere that can shut you up if that's possible," His comment clearly isn't appreciated as she pushes his shoulder roughly and his hand lets go of mine when he decides to tackle her, their laughter carries through the air and I can't help but laugh along. The two of them love each other to death, it's obvious. 

She hurries away from him and links her arm through mine, sending me a small smile, "I call a truce since I'm standing next to your pride and joy."

Raising an amused eyebrow at her, "You sure are keeping them stashed up your sleeve, aren't you?"

"It's a party trick really, but I love getting under his skin with it. A win-win," She shrugs her shoulders and pulls me with her, the force behind her actions makes me laugh and I know she's trying to rile up Elijah. We reach the booth selling candy floss and I'm immediately compelled to stare at the woman behind the counter, how she so professionally makes a perfect cloud of pink and blue. 

"Let's eat some candy floss," I declare and urge Elijah over to us with a wave, he ruffles his hair and smiles at me before walking in our direction. His confident strides distract me momentarily and I suddenly remember the girl standing next to me, this is so not the time. He finally reaches us and smiles down at me before looking at the booth. "Do you want any, Lij?"

"Tilly!" A voice screams in the distance, the girl in question spots a friend and beams at her. 

She turns to Elijah, "Can I stay with Trinity, please?"

He ponders for a minute, "Will she make sure you get home safely?"

"Of course, and I know the drill, otherwise I have to call you."

"Great, then go and have fun," He declares and she hugs me quickly before running towards her friend, not glancing back at us once. 

"What happened to the little girl outside the café in Hetdale?" I ask rhetorically. 

"She is now big and a huge pain in my ass," He jokes and smiles down at me. 

Returning the smile brightly, "You love her, don't even try that with me."

"Yeah, well what kind of brother would I be if I walked around telling anyone that?" The question wasn't supposed to be answered, I laughed at him and tugged him with me to the line. Some impatient part of me wants to be the next one in line, I truly don't know why, but I hate standing in line. It's a waste of a good life. 

"What do you say we grab some candy floss and I drive us to a spot I quite enjoy here in Barnsley?" He suddenly asks and the excitement is written clearly on my face. He wants to show me something meaningful to him in his hometown, and on top of that, I'll get my candy floss. 

"I'd really love that, Lij."

We're up next and order one candy floss, she makes it within seconds and Elijah insists on paying, I give him an exasperated look when she accepts his card, "I will buy groceries for your fridge again then, I don't care."

"And I will sneak them back into your fridge," He reciprocates with a smirk. 

Damn you. 

"That's not how this world works," I stubbornly say as we walk towards his car again. 

"It's how the two of us will make it work," The underlying tones of 'us' makes my heart flutter. 

"That doesn't make any sense," I laugh and grab a piece of the delicious candy floss, popping it into my mouth and sighing by the sugary taste melting on my tongue. 

"Neither does the fact that you want to hang out with me and yet, here we are," He laughs huskily at me and I grab his bigger hand in my smaller one. The action feels so natural but provokes a whole fucking zoo in my stomach. This man truly makes me feel things, and I don't want to let go of that. 

"We're not only hanging out," I correct him. 

Elijah opens the passenger door for me and I sit down, he jogs to his side and flings himself into the seat with a smirk, "What are you implying, love?"

When I realize what he means my cheeks burn bright red, "Definitely not that!"

"I love that you're still blushing even when I've had my fingers buried deep insi-"

My hand clamps on top of his mouth in a desperate attempt at stopping his crude remark, my heart beats roughly in my chest and I won't ever own up to the throbbing between my thighs by the reminder, "Nope, we're not doing that."

He kisses my palm and I let go of him again, "I guess I shouldn't comment on your flushed cheeks or how your grey eyes clouded over in a very familiar darkness then?"

I suck at hiding anything from him, "You clearly don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure thing, love. Are you ready for a little road trip?" He asks with a hint of excitement on his voice. 

I smile at him and appreciate the change of subject, "I'm very excited indeed."

Our eyes lock for a few seconds too long, the small smile dancing along his lips is so handsome and I enjoy the sight of his soft eyes. Elijah shakes his head and a simple laugh leaves him, there's a specific redness on his cheeks and I try not to dwell on him being flustered in front of me. That's so incredibly endearing.