Chapter 1

It was a normal day at Berk. As usual, the sun was shining, dragons were flying about, villagers were chatting, Terrible Terrors were singing (horribly, I might add) and the people knelt down before the statue of Stoick the Vast. Everyone mourned his death, but they celebrated for their new chief too. It's been a week since Hiccup had become Chief of Berk and he was known as the "Dragon Trainer" or "Dragon Whisperer". His mother was proud of his achievements.

His fiance, Astrid (he proposed to her two weeks before the present day), was happy that he was chief, but she was also worried. He usually spent his time cooped up in his study room at his house, working. She had been in his study room once or twice and it was a huge mess. Papers everywhere, unsharpened charcoal pencils rolling about, a number of inventions to improve the village were pinned on every wall and not to mention the fact that there was no window.

But that day, Astrid decided to find out why he's been working so hard this past week. She walked into his house, but before that she greeted Valka and asked permission, of course. She walked into his study to see him mumbling to himself and writing things on a piece of paper. As usual, he worked by candlelight due to the closed room.

Astrid thought this study was the one making him stressed. She made a mental note to make sure to add a window to his study when they get married. And also organize this trash bin.

"Hey, Hiccup," she greeted. He said a simple greeting before resuming his task. She sighed and wrapped her arms around his neck, "I've missed you, Hicc. You've been too busy with chief duties."

He unwrapped her arms from his neck. "Astrid not now, please. I'm working. I'll spend time with you tonight," he said, his eyes still glued to the paper.

Astrid scoffed, "You always say that." She walked about the room and continued her sentence, "And you don't really spend time with me. Always busy 24/7."

Hiccup sighed, "You're acting needy, Astrid." She glared at the back of his head when his sentence reached her ears. She brushed loose bangs out of her eyes and replied, "Maybe, but you're my fiance Hiccup. We're getting married in three days, for Odin's sake! What if you miss our wedding too? Oh wait, there won't a wedding!"

"And why not?" Hiccup asked, his eyes and hands still focused of the piece of paper. Darn that paper, Astrid thought to herself.

"Because," she said harshly, "We weren't able to plan it yet! You're too busy! And how can I plan it myself? It's our wedding, not mine! And we never spend time together anymore! You promised me that you would, but no, you had to so busy all the time!"

Those words hit Hiccup's ears like a bullet. His heart swelled when he heard her. He had been a bad fiance to his future wife. Oh, he was so stupid! "Astrid..." he trailed off.

"Ugh, I'm going. You're probably too busy anyway. I'm canceling the darn wedding!" She yelled. She pulled the ring out of her finger and threw it Hiccup. He caught it as she rushed out with hard stomps. A moment later Valka came in, tapping her foot.

"Oh, uh, Mom...hehe, how much did you hear?" Hiccup asked his mother nervously. "Everything," Valka said, raising a brow, "You know Hiccup, it is true. She had been so worried about these past days and all you've done is ignore her. And the wedding, oh Thor, it wasn't even planned!"

"I know Mom, I'm so stupid," Hiccup sighed and clutched the ring in his hand tightly, "I'm going to apologize to her." Valka smiled as her son rushed off in the direction Astrid went.

He ran around the village looking for Astrid, but she wasn't at her house nor had anyone seen her. By now, Hiccup thought of where she would go. He quickly checked the forest and the cove, but he didn't find her. Sighing, he wondered where she had gone. He looked at the ring in his hand, and said, "I am so, so sorry Astrid. I've been ignoring you and I didn't see that you've only been wanting to get me out of that study."

He whistled for Toothless and when Toothless came bounding up to him, he mounted him and took off into the sky. He flew around Berk for a moment before spotting someone at the cliff on the other side of Berk. One name ran around his mind: Astrid. He dove down and saw that it was really her. She was sitting down, with her knees against her chest and her arms holding them in place. He could hear her snifle a bit and he suddenly felt more guilt pile up on his shoulders and his heart swelled even more.

He sat next to her and noticed a few tears glide down her cheeks. "Astrid," he whispered softly. She didn't look at him, but greeted him still. After that, silence was present in between the two.

"Hiccup, is there even an us?" She asked suddenly. The question hit Hiccup's heart like a sword. He placed a hand on her cheek and wiped her tears away. "Of course there is," Hiccup asnwered her question without hesitance or regret. He said his answer with pure emotion.

She snifled and leaned into him, "I may sound selfish, but why do you have to be so busy all the time? You never spend time with me anymore. And the wedding..."

"I'm so, so sorry," he said, stroking her hair, "I was a stupid jerk and I am so sorry. I completely forgot that I had to plan a wedding...our wedding. Astrid please forgive me. It's just that when I was young, Dad had to work all the time. He never spent time with me and I made it worse when I messed up every single day. I promised myself that when I become chief, I wouldn't mess up too. I guess I just got so caught up in it, I forgot to spend time with you."

She buried her head in his arms as she said, "Okay, I forgive you. But in the morning, remind me to punch your guts out."

He laughed heartily and replied, "Of course, I deserve it, mi'lady."

Astrid smiled at the use of her nickname and closed her eyes and Hiccup secured his arms around her. That night they fell asleep in each others arms, under the glow of a billion stars.

The next morning though, when they got back to Berk, Valka and the Gang gave them a letter with horrified eyes. Hiccup looked from them to the letter and opened it.

Berk shall perish under my mighty wrath. I will have my revenge. I will. And this time, I only want the Berkians, not the world. Prepare for war, Chief Hiccup.

The letter wasn't signed, so they didn't know who they were up against. But Hiccup yelled orders to the people. He sent the villagers who can't fight out to a safe island southeast of Berk. Astrid stayed to fight, and so did the gang. Valka prepared the dragons, and Hiccup readied the warriors with weapons that Gobber quickly made. Hiccup had the words said by his father in his mind: I must prepare you for war.

The next day, before the sun had risen, Hiccup made sure that the warriors were up and ready. Valka and the Gang prepared the dragons to fight. At the crack of dawn, an army of dragons and one man arrived at Berk.

When Hiccup saw who was leading the war, his eyes narrowed.

"Dagur."

***

Hi! So this is my very first story here on Wattpad and I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Please, vote and comment, I'd love to see your feedback!

God Bless! ~ FYIris109