- No. ⁷

THE WOLF

[vii. the ghost of the man who made her]

It was crazy how for so long she had hated Remus Lupin. How her dream was to beat him. Now they sat in the window seat while they both filled out their astrology charts. Remus finished first and just watched her eyebrows furrow at some of the questions. He thought that her brown eyes almost seemed green in the sunset light.

The sun was about to set and they would have to seperate from one another. It had been a few days since the last quidditch game and since then the duo had been inseparable. They didn't push the conversation. The quiet wasn't uncomfortable or awkward, it was just calm.

"Are you recycling your eye bags or just choosing not to get any sleep."

"Since when are you so concerned with my amount of sleep?"

"When you started looking like you would fall over, if the wind blew too hard"

Remus laughed and dropped his head onto Jackie, he could feel her sit up a little straighter to try and make him more comfortable. He watched as she filled out some of the questions and got stuck on some. When she would get stuck he would reach over and tap the question and tell her the answer.

Once she finished her chart, he lifted his head, scooped up his papers, and threw them in his bag. Jackie's nose crinkled as she put her papers in her folder then in her bag. She considered buying him a folder, but she doubted he would use it. It was almost curfew and she knew that if they were both to make it back to their dorms they would have to leave now. So she bid him goodbye and was about two steps away when she turned around and called back out for him.

"Can you help me with my potions essay tomorrow?"

"Yeah"

Then she turned back around and hurried back to the big blue room of comfort. After reaching the common room she sank right into one of the plush couches under the window. The moonlight streamed through the window and made the room shimmer. Jackie always thought that the Ravenclaw common room was meant to be seen at night.

The taping at the window drew her attention, and her family owl sat upon the window seal. She quickly let Owl, (her father was quite creative with the name) in and stroked his feathers, she then took the letter that he had carried to her.

She looked down at the letter and recognized her father's handwriting in his cursive script reading her name. In the corner on the side it held a little note from her mother reading, that it was a letter from her father that they had just found, and sent it to her right away.

Jackie took a big breath,hoping it would ground her back to earth. She opened the letter.

My Dearest Jack March 24, 1962