Chapter three: The kid has to go

"Tony where have you been, we we're going to start the meeting without you. " Stane commented as Tony sat down and he had to keep himself from blowing up on the guy despite him being his business partner. "Apologies Obi I was a little preoccupied with Peter, " he explained and Stane gave off a quick snarl before turning to the other men in the room. "So Mr. Stark your partner tells us that you've been working on a new missiles and other new weapons for a huge military sale? " One of the business men asked and Tony answered honestly, the meeting seemed to go on forever and all Tony wanted to do was go back home so he could be with Peter. It was nearly 3 in the afternoon when the meeting was over but before Tony could leave Stane pulled him aside. "We have something to discuss Tony, " Stane said "look I can't deal with this right now, I have other things to do. " Tony complained, he really didn't have the patience to deal with Stane right now. "Look the kid is keeping you from your work which is what you should be focused on," "excuse me? " Tony asked in disbelief surely Stane wasn't suggesting that he should just disown Peter "the kid has to go Tony, can't you see what he's doing to you. He's ruining your public image and our sales have dropped almost 30% because you won't leave the house. " "Listen Stane, Peter has no one else right now and for the record I don't care much about my public image at the moment. I've been happier in this last few months then I ever have been so don't ask me to disown him again because I won't. " Tony declared and then walked away, "he's not your kid Tony, you can't keep him forever!" Stane yelled out and then left Tony alone in a stunned and bewildered state, he was sure how long he stood there motionless but regardless he needed to get home.
*********
The words still rung in his ears even after he had gotten back to the Tower, to see Peter playing with his stuffed spider plushie, that Tony had gotten him not to long ago. "Hey Tony how did the meeting go? " Pepper asked but he didn't answer her, he was too lost in thought. 'Don't get to attached, he's not yours, you can't keep him forever, ' he thought to himself over and over again. "no sad, " Peter called out pulling Tony out of his thoughts, "oh hey buddy I didn't see you there, " Tony said picking the boy up "no sad, " Peter repeated giving Tony a tight hug. 'God what is this kid doing to me? ' Tony thought as he gently patted Peter's back "what happened Tony? " Pepper asked taking a seat next to both of them "nothing the meeting was just long, " Tony lied he didn't want to think about what was said anymore, he just wanted to forget, it but he knew he never would.