Chapter Ten: Spiderman

"Its all over the news, a new hero calling himself Spiderman, " Rhodey exclaimed, Tony was intrigued by this but he already had an idea of how the new webslinger was. About six months ago Friday had told him that Peter had been bitten by spider and after he examined the strange symptoms that came with it for four days, he had a feeling that Peter now had superpowers and was out there saving the day. Which honestly worried to him to no end, "I know Rhodes, Friday keeps me updated on the news, " Tony said crossing his arms and getting lost in his thoughts. "I know that look Tony, what's on your mind?" "Peter, " Tony answered simply "the kid who changed your life? " Rhodey asked "correction the kid who to this day is still my number one priority, " Tony said now feeling his eyes begin to water "woah I had no idea that he meant that much to you Tones, " Rhody said in surprise "yeah the kid has had me wrapped around his finger since the day we first met, I loved him man and I still do. But I have to watch over him in secret because his parents came to get to him right on the day I planned to adopt, he was so young that he probably dosen't even remember being here but I know won't ever forget it. " Tony explained and he couldn't hold back the tears anymore, he felt embarrassed because he was Iron Man and Iron man didn't cry, but here he was crying over a kid he had saved who melted the ice around his heart only for him to be snatched away. It hurt so much, even though it happened more than a decade ago, for a moment Rhodey didn't see his best friend as just a rich millonare play boy who saved the day with a metal suit, he saw a parent who had lost their child. "You sound like a dad, " he commented "that's not who am I though, as much as I want to have him he's not my kid and he can't stay with me. " "That might be what you think, but what about Peter? If I remember correctly he thought you we're his father. " Tony was almost speechless at the statement "but Rhodes he dosen't remember me, " "are you sure, when was the last time you talked to him? " "oh my god your right, I haven't spoken to him in years and now that he's spiderman I can go to house and recruit him so I can mentor him. " "Wait how do you know he's spiderman? " Rhodey asked interrupting his best friend "he got bitten by a radioactive spider six months ago and not long after he was showing strange symptoms like enhanced senses, super strength, and he was always cold. I'm telling you, Rhodes he's spiderman, now I gotta go if the team comes in looking for me tell them I went to go see my kid. " Before Rhodey could even react Tony had already left the room, "wow never thought I'd see him leave that quickly, " Rhodey commented.
************
Peter had just gotten home from school, and was confused when he saw a black limo parked outside his Apartment. "Aunt May there's this strange car parked outside, " Peter said as he walked in the door and to his complete and utter shock there sitting on the couch in the living room was Tony Stark. "Oh Mr. Parker, " he said and Peter felt his whole body leap in excitement "uh what are you doing, hey I'm Peter, " he stammered. 'Great now he's going to think I can't speak properly, ' "Tony, " "what are you doing here? " Peter asked "you got my emails right about your application, " Tony said winking at him "yeah, " Peter answered simply, he had never gotten any emails from Tony Stark but he wasn't complaining.
"Peter why didn't you tell me that you applied for an internship? " May asked "well um I wanted it to be a surprise, so um surprise, " Peter lied but May seemed to buy it "can you give us five minutes? " Tony asked and May nodded, Tony then followed Peter to his bedroom and they two talked for a bit. Peter was surprised that Tony acted so uncommonly friendly with him and somehow familiar, like this was something between the two of them many times before, even though he couldn't figure out why. "That's you isn't it? " Tony asked pulling up a hologram of Spiderman, "no that's not me, " Peter lied 'still bad at lying I see, ' Tony thought to himself. It was hard for him to immediately tell Peter the truth when he saw him walk through the door and hug him. But he needed to play it cool, if he could mentor Peter about being a hero then he would always have a way to make sure that his kid was safe. It also wasn't hard for Tony to find Peter's spiderman suit hidden in a hatch on his celling, "your the crime fighting spiderboy? " Tony asked "spiderman, " Peter corrected "why are you doing this I gotta know, what gets you outta of bed in the morning? " Tony asked, though he had feeling he knew what the answer was. "When you can do the things I can but you don't and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you. "