Chapter 9 - Tough

The rest of the afternoon seemed to slip away. They talked about everything and nothing all at once. Keira had lost count of the number of times she'd laughed or the amount of jokes they shared. He talked about his past, his long holidays driving down to the south of France as a child. And the time he had first picked up a guitar. She was in awe of how this man sat beside her could be so humble and genuine whilst also being such a successful artist and one of the biggest singers around the globe.

They had breached some of the weirdest conversation topics whilst sat on the sofa in the back of the coffee shop. Keira had just laughed as he rambled on about the most random things. But no matter what they were talking about, he always brought it back to her. He asked about her childhood and university, always interested in her opinion. He made her feel special, important. She couldn't remember the last time someone had made her feel that way.

"So yeah, my biggest fear has to be spiders. They are some seriously scary fuckers," Lewis said with a grin.

She'd forgotten how they'd got onto the topic of spiders, but she wasn't complaining.

"I wouldn't mind trading fears with you," Keira nudged him with her shoulder. "I feel like spiders are more avoidable than large crowds."

Lewis' face suddenly grew serious. "If you don't mind me asking, did something happen to make you so afraid?"

Memories of the accident flooded back to her. Keira could feel the blood drain from her face, her fingers beginning to tremble.

But Lewis was beside her in seconds, one arm cradled around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. His other hand held hers, rubbing soothing circles into her skin that seemed to ease the shaking in her fingers.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "I shouldn't have asked."

"No, it's okay," Keira replied, trying to gather her thoughts. "I've just never really talked about it with anyone before."

That wasn't a lie. After it happened, Keira hadn't ever discussed it, not with Tara, not even with her own parents. They had just moved on.

"You don't need to tell me anything," Lewis said into her hair.

"It happened during a festival three years ago," she begun, steadying her breaths. "I'd lost my friends and found myself within a crowd. I didn't know what was going on, it was so hot that day and I could barely breathe. I don't think I'd had a drink all day and my muscles were so weak. Whilst I was trying to push myself through the crowd, my legs gave way and I must have passed out. The next thing I remember, I was on the ground. People were practically stood on top of me. I was screaming and no one would move to help me. Someone must have come on stage at the time, because everyone went wild, jumping and yelling. I broke three bones and ended up in hospital for days."

Lewis' eyes were lined with silver, as though a tear could slip from them any second. "Shit Keira, I'm so sorry that happened to you." He pulled her closer as if trying to protect her from those memories. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, I got through it . . . Your show was the first time I'd gone into a crowd since it happened."

Lewis blinked at her. "I wish I had known. Jesus, the only advice I gave you was to not give a fuck."

"Hey, it was pretty good advice," Keira smiled, nuzzling her head into the crook of his neck. "And having you on stage in front of me helped more than you could imagine."

Lewis chuckled softly. "So you noticed me staring?"

"I think the action was mutual," Keira said, squeezing his fingers gently. "I know I didn't tell you before, but you were really amazing up there."

"What's that?" Lewis gasped. She didn't need to look to know he was grinning. "Is Keira-Marie finally giving me a compliment? I thought it would never happen."

Keira giggled, poking him playfully in the chest. "I give you compliments . . . sometimes."

"Yes, I think being called a 'loud-mouthed scot' is the peak of compliments," Lewis laughed.

Keira was about to reply when she felt a buzz reverberate through the couch.

Lewis quickly moved away, fishing his hand into the back pocket of his jeans before pulling out his phone. He placed it to his ear before mouthing 'sorry.'

"Hey, yeah . . . yeah, I know. Wait really?" Lewis' eyes widened. "Okay, okay sorry, I'll be there in fifteen."

He quickly hung up, shoving his phone back into his pocket.

"Something wrong?" Keira asked, already feeling her heart sink at the thought of having to say goodbye.

"Well, I'm sorta kinda running late for my own concert," Lewis laughed running a hand through his messy blonde hair. "I could have sat here talking to you for hours. I guess I lost track of time."

Keira's brows flew up in shock. "Oh my god, Lewis I'm sorry. I can walk home, you don't need to bother driving me. You better get straight to the venue."

Lewis only chuckled, shaking his head. "Okay, one: I would never make you walk home in the freezing cold, who do you think I am?" His smile widened. "And two: how do you feel about coming along with me?"

Keira's jaw dropped open a little. Did she just hear him right?

"Wait really? I mean, I don't want to get in the way . . ."

"Don't worry," he said. "I do a good enough job at that as it is."

Keira pursed her lips, not really sure what to believe. "Even at your own concert?"

"Especially at my own concert."

They both burst out laughing, Keira falling forward into his chest. He grasped her shoulders, holding her steady in front of him. "But really Keira, I'm not joking here. If you could make your decision quickly, that would be great." He flicked his eyes down to his watch. "I'm running so bloody late."

"Come on then," Keira giggled, hopping off the sofa and quickly tugging him up with her.

They hurried out of the coffee shop, sprinting across the car park hand in hand.

"What are you making me do?" Lewis huffed a breath before sliding into the car.

Keira did the same, buckling her seat belt before turning to him. "I hope you're a fast driver, Mr Capaldi."

He only shook his head smiling as he turned on the ignition. "I'll go as fast as this shitty car will take me."

"Good," she only said, reaching across to brush a strand of hair out of his eyes. "Just make sure you're able to see first."

He grasped her hand and squeezed once before pulling away. "What does it feel like touching the hair of a rock star?"

Keira laughed, giving him a sidelong glance. "Like touching the hair of an angel, now shut up and drive."