Chapter 22 - the after-party

If Keira thought the award show had been glamourous, then the after-party was on a whole other level.

Chandeliers glimmered from above as they were led down a swooping spiral staircase, following the sound of excited conversation and thumping music.

The room was lined with dark leather booths and sleek low-lying tables made of glass. The bar to the left was bustling with people ordering cocktails and spirits. Velvet curtains draped around the darkened walls, making it feel as though they were in a palace of some sort.

Keira would have felt very overwhelmed if it hadn't been for Lewis' comforting arm wrapped around her waist. She'd be lying if she said she didn't feel out of place in this extravagant room, packed with celebrities in gorgeous gowns and suits. But Lewis held her close as they walked through the throng of people, making their way towards the bar.

After ordering their drinks, Lewis took them to a high-standing table at the back of the room, away from the crowds.

"A bit fancier than McDonald's then?" Lewis said with a grin before sipping from his crystal-cut glass.

Keira laughed, nudging his shoulder lightly. "Hmmm, I'm not sure. I've seen some fancy McDonald's in my time."

He chuckled as they both gazed around the room, trying to take it all in. Eventually, she sighed.

"I don't know how you can get used to this," Keira said, still completely awe-struck by her surroundings. "It's crazy."

Lewis just shook his head. "I don't think I'll ever get used to this. A few months ago, I was just a lad from Scotland doing gigs in bars for a living. And now . . ."

"And now you are taking over the world," Keira finished, smiling at him.

She wasn't sure if it was the alcohol, but as their eyes locked, she suddenly became very lightheaded.

"I guess you could say that," he huffed a laugh, his gaze not dropping from hers.

"I'm so proud of you, Lew," she said quietly, feeling herself blush.

Small dimples appeared in his cheeks as he took her hand in his.

"Thank you," he whispered, bringing her hand up to his lips and softly kissing her fingers.

Keira couldn't describe the sensation. How it made her feel molten and warm inside.

"Thank you," he said again, his mouth brushing over her skin. "Thanks for being here with me."

She felt frozen in place, watching as Lewis lowered her hand from his lips slowly, as if he didn't want to pull away.

"Always," she managed to get out, too distracted by him to say anything else.

"I normally go to these events alone, and let me tell you, they can be fucking awful," he said with a laugh.

Keira frowned. "But you seemed to be having fun earlier? You were talking to all those people at the table . . ."

Lewis snorted, almost choking on his drink. "Trust me, that's not something I enjoy. I talk to them because that's what you're expected to do. If I didn't, I'm pretty sure my manager would kill me. These things," he said, gesturing around the room, "are all for appearances, to make good impressions, forge connections with people high up and a load of other shit I don't really care about."

Keira's eyes widened. How had she not realised? Of course, most of this was just for show, but she assumed everyone here was enjoying themselves.

Lewis shifted closer, placing his glass down on the table and sliding his hands to rest on her hips. "But you," he said softly, pulling her towards him so that she was pressed against his chest. "You make all of this bearable. You are the person I really want to talk to."