Chapter 26 - falling

Grey clouds gathered overhead, making the late Sunday afternoon in London much darker than usual.

They had found themselves walking towards the park Keira used to play at as a child. It was a large stretch of grass, the perimeter gated by tall iron fencing. Only a few dog-walkers were about, their raincoats tugged tightly around them, as though they were expecting the worst from the weather.

But Keira didn't mind the cold. She was just glad to get away from her mother and breathe the fresh air, trying to push away all of the negativity from before.

Lewis was silent beside her, his hand still clasped around hers. She leant into him slightly as they strolled for the park entrance.

"I'm sorry I put a downer on your special weekend," Keira said, watching the ground pass beneath her feet as they walked.

Lewis sighed, shaking his head. "You didn't, trust me. I've dealt with people who are a lot worse than your mum. Especially as someone who looks like this." He gestured to himself.

Keira stopped walking then, pulling them to a halt. "What do you mean as someone who looks like this?"

"Well, you know," he shrugged sheepishly. "I'm not exactly the greatest looking guy."

"You are to me," Keira said quietly, watching as Lewis' eyes lit up. "There could be a thousand people in a room, but I would still only want you. I will always want you."

His throat bobbed as he stared down at her. Slowly, he brought his hand up to cup her cheek.

"You mean that?"

"Of course I fucking do," she laughed softly. Though she couldn't help but feel gutted that he would even have to ask.

He smiled, and even with the dark clouds above them, he managed to brighten up her world.

A second later, he was holding her face in both hands, leaning down to kiss her lips. Her eyes fluttered closed, savouring the feel of him, so soft and warm against her.

When they finally pulled away, Keira whispered, "You're perfect, and you shouldn't think anything different."

He just chuckled before bringing her in again and kissing her, this time more desperately. She melted into him, lost in every movement, then-

A bike bell rang loudly, followed by a cyclist shouting, "On you left!"

Startled, they broke apart. It only took Lewis a second to notice the bike heading straight for them. Instantly, he wrapped his arms around Keira and pulled her to the side to safety, barely missing the cyclist as he shot by, dressed in fluorescent green.

"Oh my god," she gasped, her heart racing as she clutched onto Lewis tightly, resting her head against his chest.

"It's like the bloody motorway along here," he said, gazing over his shoulder at the cyclist as he peddled away through the trees. "Are you okay?"

Even though she was alright, he looked her up and down just to make sure.

"I'm fine, thanks to my knight in shining armour," she winked, still getting her breath back.

"That's a first," he laughed, taking her hand as they began walking again. "I've definitely never been called that before."

"I seem to recall you also saving me that first night at your concert," she said, thinking back to how her panic had almost consumed her. If it hadn't been for Lewis, his steady gaze and concern, she probably wouldn't have made it through.