Chapter 15 - someone you should meet

After talking for a while longer, Keira made them a large bowl of salted popcorn and browsed through the TV channels until they eventually decided on some comedy film she didn't remember the name of.

But she could barely focus on the film when she had Lewis beside her. She was sat sideways so that her legs were stretched across his lap. He stroked them gently in between grabbing handfuls of popcorn.

She found it so hard to watch the screen when staring at his face was so much better. He must have noticed as he turned to her, smirking.

"Enjoy the view?" he mimicked her words from before and Keira just rolled her eyes.

"You've got popcorn around your mouth," she only said, looking back to the TV.

Lewis laughed. "Can you come over here and help me with it then?"

Gladly, she thought as she looked back at him.

The room was mostly dark, only the gleam from the TV screen lit his face. God, how was it possible for him to look so perfect.

Without wasting another second, Keira shifted towards him. He was grinning as she slipped an arm around his neck and pulled his face towards hers. She could taste the salt on his lips as she kissed him. His hand came up to cup her cheek, deepening the kiss.

Eventually, Keira pulled back with a smile. "Did that help?"

"A bit," he said, smiling, "But I think I just need a little more . . . help."

She happily obliged.

By the time they were finished 'helping' each other, the credits were rolling as the film ended.

Keira laughed, falling against his chest.

He looked as though he was about to say something when suddenly a thumping sound came from her bedroom.

"What's that?" he asked, craning his neck to look at her bedroom door.

Keira smiled, knowing exactly what it was. "Come on," she said, easing to her feet and holding out a hand for Lewis. "There's someone you should meet."

"Someone?" Lewis replied, clearly confused as he took her hand and she led them through into her room.

"Meet, Hammie," she said, flicking the light on.

On her dresser was a large hamster cage, and sure enough, a small golden-haired rodent was busy running around his wheel.

Lewis laughed, finally realising what she'd meant. He walked up to the cage, poking his finger through the bars.

"Hello, wee fella," he said wiggling his finger.

"Watch he doesn't bite you," Keira warned but was still smiling as she came up beside him.

She turned her attention to the hamster, changing her voice as though she were speaking to a baby. "Can you believe Lewis thinks you have a bad name?" She paused like she was listening to a response. "I know, how mean of him."

She shook her head, tutting. Lewis just wrapped a hand around her waist and continued to speak to her pet. "It's not your fault, Hammie. Keira clearly wasn't very imaginative when coming up with your name."

Keira chuckled, poking him playfully. "I didn't name him, my little sister did."

He turned to her then. "I didn't know you had a sister."

"Yeah, her name is Lilia. I don't really see her much because my family live down in London. I only moved up here to Scotland for my degree."

His brow creased. "You're so far from home."