Chapter 36 - new beginnings

Keira pulled up to the small gravel car park beside the lake. The same lake Lewis had taken her to all those months ago. The one place he'd told her he truly felt safe.

It was still so dark outside, the ground shadowed by a thick canopy of trees that blocked out the moonlight.

Relief hit her as she recognised Lewis' car, the only other vehicle there. It was parked at a wonky angle, skid tracks marring the stones behind it as though he had been in a rush.

She wasted no time as she leapt from the car, slamming the door shut before launching down the narrow path through the trees. She sprinted blindly through the darkness, occasionally tripping over the roots on the ground. But she didn't slow, continuing towards the water.

The distant sound of waves breaking filled her ears. It was the only sign telling her that she was getting close.

When she finally broke through the trees, her feet skidded on the sand below. She gasped, steadying herself as she tried to catch her breath, bracing her hands on her knees.

"Hello?" someone asked through the darkness.

Keira looked up, noticing the outline of a person sat on a rock beside the water. Suddenly she was overcome by so much emotion, happiness, relief, joy, that her legs began to tremble. Threatening to give out.

"Lewis," she cried, hurrying towards him across the sand.

As she got closer, she began to make out his face through the dark, the confusion in his eyes.

"H-how-what are you doing here?" he said, his voice rough as though he'd been crying. But she couldn't see any tears on his face.

"Me?" she asked incredulously. "Lewis, what are you doing here? Everyone has been so worried. I have been so worried!"

He held her gaze for a few seconds, before dropping his head in his hands. "I'm sorry," he said quietly.

Something in his voice broke her heart. Slowly, she eased onto the rock beside him, trying to ignore the coldness that spread through her legs as she did.

"Lew, what's going on?" she pleaded, more calmly than before. "Are you okay?"

He didn't reply for a long while, the silence stretching between then. She couldn't stand it.

Keira slid her arm around him, tugging him in closer to her side. With her other hand, she tried to gently pry his arms away from his face.

"Lewis?" she whispered, but it was no use.

Just when she thought he would never reply, he mumbled so quietly she almost couldn't hear the words.

"I don't want to lose you."

"What?" Keira blinked, her eyes beginning to sting with the threat tears. "You're not going to."

He shook his head, his face still buried in his palms. "Most people can't make long distance work."

She felt taken aback by that. Did he really have that little faith in their relationship? But Keira pushed that feeling aside, trying to focus on him.

"Maybe?" she said. "But since when were we 'most people'."

Finally he took his hands away, but her heart fell as he just continued staring at his lap instead of looking at her.

"I'm sorry," he said again, his voice deep and raspy as he picked at the material of his trousers. "I never wanted to put you in this position. You deserve so much better. Someone who's reliable, who can stay by your side and isn't half way across the world when you need them."